Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have frequent alternating diarrhea and constipation. I had…

second opinion] I have frequent...
second opinion] I have frequent alternating diarrhea and constipation. I had a breath test by the gastroenterologist and I tested positive for SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth). What are the causes and treatment options?
3/16/2018
Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

the causes are generally from changes in stomach acid, changes in intestinal transit function, disruption of normal antibacterial defense mechanisms, medications, surgeries, and several others. The treatment is based on antibiotic therapy such as rifaximin or metronidazole

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I had no idea there could be those different causes. I will ask my doctor to investigate which was my cause and which antibiotic to take. Is this something that can be cured or might it come back after a course of antibiotic?

Generally, most people will require multiple rounds of antibiotic therapy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see. Does this antibiotic kill all the bacteria in the small intestine and leave the good bacteria in the colon?I read about a Blood test called IBSDetex at Quest that detects food poisoning as cause of IBS and SIBO, making SIBO an autoimmune disease. I did have severe food poisoning a number of years ago. Have you heard of this?

I have never heard of this test. You may want to ask your doctor about it prior to ordering it to see if he or she will be able to interpret the results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would ask him to order it. In California we can’t order our own tests without a physician.

I would try the antibiotics first to see if that helps.

Dr. Scott, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You have been very helpful. Five stars.
Dr. Scott, Doctor