Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Passing red mucus from rectum and blac poop. Since this

Passing red mucus from...

Passing red mucus from rectum and blac poop

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Since this morning

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Got a colonoscopy last Friday. taking med for the pain and mucus from last week.

Still waiting for answer.
3/15/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now.

Is that black tarry stool? do you have any stomach pain or other GI symptoms? Did you get your colonoscopy report?

I spoke to you last week. Went in hosp. Wednesday, had the test Friday. been taking meds, but this started today
pain went away, with levsin

Thanks for the information.

I see that you came here last week with similar symptoms. Since you have already done colonoscopy, you must wait for its report before we conclude anything. I assume you doctor must have done blood and stool test as well.

The black tarry stool indicates bleeding in upper GI, the most common cause is ulcer, but any instrumentation can cause minor damage. Sometimes instrumentation like colonoscopy can cause minor trauma and bleeding in GIT leading to blood and mucus. If the bleeding is excessive it can lead to black stool. If you feel like you did not eat anything that may change your stool color, I suggest you to monitor it for a day and two as you don't have any other associated symptoms. If you persistently see black stool, then you have to see your doctor again to rule out upper GI bleeding.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that Ican get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor