Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 91 yr old mother just got diagnosed wit fracture femur/

My 91 yr...

My 91 yr old mother just got diagnosed wit fracture femur/ hip (hairline) good mobility 2 residents said maby she did not need surgery but surgeon opted for surgery. Our dad had exact break and surgery and never woke up after massive stroke. We are afraid the same may happen to mom

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Fell had pain then mri and s-ray

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Did you read my first post 91 yr old fell broke femur/hip this morning

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

How dangerous is this surgery on a 91 yr old on meds fo high platelet count (thick blood) on a chemo med for that

3/15/2018
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. Any surgery at 91 that involves general anesthesia is pretty high risk. That said, most of the surgeries that you describe go well nevertheless. The key factors are the overall health of the patient and the skill and experience of the surgeon. You should get a second opinion from an experienced orthopedic surgeon if you can. You can also request success rates and complication rates for any surgeon that you choose to do your mom's hip repair.

Thank You We are trying to get second opinion. They said general anesthesia due to some medication she takes. Is the blood clot related to this surgery a high risk?

Yes, that is also a concern. However, there are excellent medications and post-op techniques for minimizing this risk. Knowing about the risk is the most important factor, as you can ask her surgeon, her anesthesiologist and her nurses about this to make sure they are doing everything they can to prevent it.

Thank You!

You're welcome. I hope all works out for the best for your mom. God bless her...and you for looking after her needs.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor