Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My partner was diagnosed yesterday with Herpes 1. His

Second opinion] My partner was...
Second opinion] My partner was diagnosed yesterday with Herpes 1. His reading was about 3.17. He will be starting meds. Can he have sexual intercourse using condoms now or does he have to wait any time for the meds to kick in? Also, can he have oral sex in the future without passing the Herpes 1 to me? What do we need to know?
He had 2 other partners 1 of which he thinks gave him Herpes 1 He has not noticed any outbreaks or sores.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, does you partner currently have any active sores or ulcers in his genital area? Have the two of you had any sexual contact as of yet?

No sores or outbreaks.
We used a condom but I did do Falacio on him

Thank you for that information. And just for clarification, your partner is male; are you male or female?

I am female

Thank you for that information. Herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1) is the virus that causes cold sores, or blisters in the face/lip area. I'm assuming he tested positive to HSV-1 by a blood test based upon the results you shared. Since he does not have any genital sores/ulcers, his positive HSV-1, which is very common even from childhood, only involves his face/lip area. You can have sexual intercourse without being concerned about him giving you genital herpes, i.e. herpes 2. You can also perform felatio on him without any concerns of contracting HSV-1. He should refrain from performing oral sex on you, if he has an active cold sore, but as long as he does not have any oral/facial ulcers of HSV-1, he can then engage in oral sex on you without concern.

Can I answer anything else for you today?

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
In Dec 2017 I tested positive for Herpes 2 with a reading of 2.17. I did not have any outbreak or any symptoms ever. Then in Jan 2018 I took another test for Herpes 2 and it was negative. I did not see my partner until Feb when we had sexual intercourse (unprotected) and oral sex on both sides. I went for a test on 6 Mar for Herpes 2 and it showed positive with 2.02.
He just went for his first testing and got a 10 panel test. It came back positive for Herpes 1 with a reading of 3.17 but not Herpes 2. He has not had any outbreaks or any sores at any time. We are both so very confused ant concerned and it is upsetting us. Do either of us have Herpes and if so, which Herpes? Please help us!
I understand. You’ve had two positive tests, and most likely one false negative. From what I can gather from the info you’ve given me,, you are positive for HSV-2 (genital herpes) and your partner is positive for HSV-1 (cold sores).