Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have no appetite. Pain in lower belly. Urine leakage at…

I have no appetite...

I have no appetite. Pain in lower belly. Urine leakage at night. I was constipated. And bloated. Took laxitives. Discomfort when depress bladder area. Took an Azo test. Negstive

Doctor's Assistant: When were you prescribed laxatives? How severe were any side effects?

Not prescribed.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about the discomfort?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take meds for depression. Hypertension and colestrol. The diuretics I believe we’re causing bloating and Constitution.

3/15/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

A negative Azo test doesn't mean you can not have UTI.

The symptoms you have are highly suggestive of urinary tract infection (frequent/leaky urine, pain over bladder area).

I suggest you to have a urinalysis and urine culture done, which are the most sensitive and specific tests to detect and decide presence or absence of an infection in the urinary tract.

Also, if these tests are negative and still the symptoms are persisting, then in that case an ultrasound of the urinary tract is warranted as these symptoms can also occur secondary to a stone in the urinary tract, especially bladder.

I had bloating and constipation. Can the constipation cause urine leaking at night?

The diuretics may also contribute to leaky urine problem, but they should be causing pain.

Constipation and bloating in unrelated to urinary symptoms and diuretics, and usually represents low fiber intake or physical inactivity. You can take Miralax once or twice daily (as needed).

Was it helpful?

I’m thinking stomach flu is contributing factor. May be a combination of constipation and stomach flu.

No, stomach flu is an acute inflammation of stomach and intestines and it gives you a significant diarrhea, not constipation.

Therefore, stomach flu and constipation are opposite which cant occur together.

I guess my question would be that I was constipated and bloated. And then contracted the flu. I press on my belly and feel pressure in my bladder now. Unable to eat but fluids ok.

I will rule out a UTI first. And if this is negative, then an abdominal imaging to look at bladder and other areas of abdomen if the pain remains persistent.

Sometimes, yes a flu like illness can affect the intestines, and it causes mainly diarrhea, but some times only bloating or gases and little pain.

You can wait for the time being, try laxatives, honey water (anti-inflammatory), and Motrin (for pain control).

If there is no improvement in another 48-72 hours, then for sure you need to see the doctor.

Ok. Thank you.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor