Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can sciatica stay only in the lower back? not in the legs.

Can sciatica stay only...

Can sciatica stay only in the lower back ? not in the legs

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling..but the pain is only when I stand

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, except I have started using a brace for Patellafemoral stress

3/15/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

No actually sciatica typically extends into the back of leg in most cases. The lower backache spreading to involve whole leg or atleast upper leg is quite common with sciatic nerve compression.

I have been given a brace to wear on my right leg for, patellafemoral stress, but the pain is in my lower back on the left side.
my right hip is a bit lower than my left hip also.
will i be charged if the doctor cannot talk to me on the phone ?
is there anything I can do for the pain in my lower back. I am taking Aleve for it, but it doesn't seem to help.

It could be related to sciatic nerve compression. It needs MRI on your lower back to check on the vertebrae / spine as nerves originate from there.

You may take ibuprofen or naproxen for pain . Nerve pain usually responds better to medications like pregabalin or gabapentin so you need to request your doctor to help you with a note for that .

Let me know if you have any more queries

I will try to get an MRI..thank you.

You are welcome.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regards.

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Consultant Physician& Rheumatologist
Phone call session started