Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm sorry, but this is a fairly and somewhat complex

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hello,I'm sorry, but...
Second opinion] Hello,I'm sorry, but this is a fairly long and somewhat complex question. I have talked to Dr. D. Love about an upcoming drug screen for THC, and I need some clarification. This is for a pain clinic where they prescribe me Percocet for Degenerative Disc Disorder, and they now want me to stop THC. The test will be in just under a month. The problem is that I use THC as 1, a supplement with Percocet and Ibuprofen for pain, 2, to help with my anxiety disorder, and 3, to help with insomnia, and I don't want to entirely quit. First off, you need to know that I have epilepsy. I take 1500mg of Depakote, 200mg of Vimpat, 100mg of Lamictal, 1mg of Klonopin & 20mg of Celexa every night before bed, and also take one 5-325 Percocet pill every 12 hours daily as needed. The first question is: if I take a detox cleanser, such as "Rescue Clear" to pass the screen for THC, will it also eliminate the levels of the aforementioned medications? Drugs like Depakote should maintain a certain therapeutic range level to prevent seizures (hope I'm explaining this right, as I'm not a neurologist, but I think the Valproic Acid is metabolized in the liver). If the detox cleanser did make me go below the correct levels, how long before I'm back to a proper therapeutic range? Secondly, I'm fairly certain that the drug screen will be looking to make sure I have the Klonopin in my system, as it is a prescribed controlled substance, and will definitely be looking to make sure the Percocet is in my system, since that's actually what the screen is usually for (they want to make sure you're not selling your pills or taking too many so that you've run out before the next monthly visit). They never minded the THC until now that I have a new PA-C. But since they do now, I would discontinue smoking for a week before the test. From what I understand, the cleansing process should begin somewhere around two hours before the test is scheduled. I've done this before quite a few years ago, and I just remember urinating many, many times. Once I'm done with the drink, I'll be urinating frequently, and the THC, Klonopin and Percocet will disappear. I want the THC gone, but not the others. However, if I begin taking extra Klonopin (which my doctor told me was safe up to a certain point) and Percocet (again, there is a limit which I've discussed with my doctor) after my first few urinations, how long will it take to reenter my urine stream? Of course I have the option of not using THC anymore, but for me, that is the last option. Please help.Thank You
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 day by:
3/17/2018
Doctor: Dr. K., MD replied 1 month ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. The detox will not work to eliminate the thc. If it does, your urine will be too dilute and the test will be invalid. There is of course, no way to keep smoking weed, and take two pain medications and pass the test. That is , of course, whey they are testing you. Because they want to be sure you are not smoking weed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Actually, they screen everybody to make sure they have the pain medication in their system so they can be reassured the patient is not selling the pills, or not overtaking their medication so they don't have any by the end of the month. They're also mainly looking at whether the patient has other opioids in their system so they can determine whether the patient has become an addict. Testing positive for marijuana is something they obviously look at, but it's not the main focus. When I originally went in for treatment, I was upfront that I smoked marijuana. The first time I tested positive for THC, the doctor's exact words were "I see you tested positive for marijuana. I don't really see a problem, but be careful; it is an illicit substance." I don't know exactly what he meant by "be careful" and should have asked. Point being that I saw that same doctor the next 5 times I had my monthly visits. I tested positive for THC every time, and he never said another word about it. When I first saw this new PA-C, they didn't test me. Then this last time I was screened was when she said "If you test positive for marijuana again, I won't see you anymore." Just telling you so you can understand the situation. I've decided to stop smoking, at least until September when medicinal marijuana is available in my state. I'm certainly not addicted to pot, it just helps with some of my health issues. But, from the extensive research I've done now, you're right, it appears that the detox cleanser doesn't actually eliminate the THC from you're system, it just masks it by diluting the urine. But it has the proper amounts of creatine and Vitamin B so that it has color and has the "proper ingredients" for lack of a better term to, to pass a drug screen. I've used it before for an employment screen, and have talked to several people who swear by it. Of course, my problem is that it would dilute the urine so the pain medication that is supposed to be in my system would also be hidden when it's supposed to be present. Like I said, though, the only real way to be sure is to stop smoking, so that's the plan. All the same, thank you for your reply!
Dr. K.
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD