Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had a sore throat going on a week now. I went into an…

I've had a sore...

I've had a sore throat going on a week now. I went into an urgent care three days ago and got swabbed for strep and it came back negative. At that time I was starting to get a cough associated with the sore throat. The past two mornings when I wake up and cough I have noticed that there is blood in with the brownish yellow flem from my lungs. Wondering if I need to go back in?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

No fever and its been a total of about 7 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Allergic to penicillin and nothing to note as far as respiratory

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Do you have shortness of breath, heartburn, acid reflux, chest pain?

What is your age?

I'm 42 and do experience heartburn frequently and take Nexium almost daily. I guess I do have a little shortness of breath and no chest pain

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms can be due to bronchitis.

The other possibility of the diagnosis is acid reflux / gastroesophageal reflux disease which can cause blood tinged sputum, sore throat etc.

In any case you need to be looked in and thus should go back for the evaluation.

You need a chest x-ray, culture of the sputum, blood counts and test for Helicobacter pylori. You may also need an upper GI endoscopy.

Meanwhile following would help you; Tums and Prilosec for GERD.

Bronchitis is treated by following;

1) Adequate rest / bed rest if symptoms are severe.

2) cough suppressants such as codeine and dextromethorphan.

3) ipratropium bromide

4) theophylline

5) steroids.

6) Occasionally antibiotics may be prescribed.

7) Zinc supplement; this increases the body immunity.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you sir. have a great day

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.