Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Well for the past 6 weeks I have had bouts of daily diarrhea…

Well for the past...

Well for the past 6 weeks I have had bouts of daily diarrhea and gas. 4 weeks ago I had blood drawn to prepare for IVF so completely unrelated. All of my kids had been sick with a stomach bug and diarrhea as well. Theirs cleared up, mine never did. My blood work came back showing eosinophils of 700. I called my primary doctor to schedule an appointment, she scheduled it for 1 month out. Yesterday I ended up in the ER, massive abdominal pain and diarrhea, thought I had appendicitis, buckled over in right sided pain. CT was normal. Eosinophils were 1800. Called my provider, still will not get back to me. All my other lab counts were normal. Not sure what to think.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Good other than diarrhea and elevated eosinophil count that keeps climbing

3/15/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am here to help you. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you please answer the following for me?

1. Any fevers or blood in the stool? Any weight loss?

2. Have you traveled anywhere lately?

3. Do you have any allergic conditions, asthma, eczema, psoriasis etc.?

Thank you in advance, as these will help me best answer your question.

No fevers or blood in stools. I haven't traveled. I have no allergies. I do occasionally get small eczema patches with stress but do not have any at this time nor have I in several months. About 2 months ago my son and 2 of my daughters went through a course of diarrhea which cleared within a few days. I shortly after began having the same. Daily very loose stools, several per day. After 2 weeks I had my lab work done for IVF where they told me I had elevated eosinophils (700 abs count) but everything else was absolutely normal. My WBC was 5.1. They suggested that with the diarrhea I might have a parasite and to follow up with my doctor. I called and the soonest appointment I could get was 1 month out. About a week ago I noticed the diarrhea had mostly resolved other than occasional incidents. It had definitely improved however. Stools were becoming more formed and less frequent. The day before yesterday I was at work and started feeling not well very quickly, shivering, light headed and ended up having massive total liquid diarrhea multiple times with debilitating right side abdominal pain. I was taken to the ER and had a ct scan and full lab work up, urine, stool. Everything came bak normal except the eosinophils were 1800 now. WBC was 9.1 now. As far as the stool sample I had been pretty emptied out but they were insistent on getting one and I was able to push a very small amount out which they said was negative for parasites although I question the accuracy for the sample size and it being post a complete emptying of my bowels. I called my provider requesting a call back. I got no call back and called again today. She had put a note in my chart, "labs normal, no need to be seen sooner than appointment" I commented that an eosinophil count of 1800 and massive diarrhea for 6 weeks is not normal. I was told they would send a note to the doctor again. Still no response. The ER doctor terrified me. She said well the cause of this is usually either parasites, asthma or cancer and you don't appear to have parasites. Well I don't have asthma so now I am pretty much panicking.
I am taking some supplements. I take a multi-vitamin, dhea(prescribed for ivf) melatonin, omega 3, coq10 and royal jelly.
My vital signs were all normal HR 57 (normal for me) blood pressure 107/66, temp 98.1, rr 17

Thank you for all that information, I'm reviewing it now, please stand by.

I'm so sorry for your ordeal! Terrible bed side manner in the ER as well, in my opinion. With no blood in the stool I would be less concerned with cancer, please rest assured. It's true, eosinophils do suggest a parasitic infection of some kind, and you are correct in that with such a small, single specimen being negative for parasites, it's hardly conclusive. Another possibility is an allergic inflammation of the intestines known as eosinophilis gastritis/enteritis/colitis, depending on the location, stomach, small or large intestines. That would explain chronic diarrhea with elevated eosinophils. I would certainly push with your primary care doctor to get in sooner, or consider finding a new primary physician. Consultation with a gastroenterologist would probably also be most helpful to consider endoscopy and biopsy of some kind for a definitive diagnosis.

Can I help with anything else today?

do you think the diarrhea and eosinophil count are related? Also as far as gastritis/enteritis/colitis possibility is that more likely acute or chronic? If it were parasitic and I am treated, how long does it take for the eosinophil count to return to normal? Weeks? Months? I am having a lack of faith in my care team at this time and want to make sure I have the knowledge to direct my care to some extent.

I do believe your diarrhea and eosinophils are related, both have been too significant for a long time together. Parasitic infections are acute and once correctly treated quickly resolve with eosinophils falling in a few weeks. Eosinophilic gastritis/enteritis/colitis is more of a chronic condition that would likely require chronic treatment and monitoring, but can be very variable from person to person. I completely understand and agree with you becoming more acquainted with your health and in control of your own care and hope my answers have you empowered you somewhat. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD