Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m not feeling well and my lab test show that I have normal…

second opinion] Hello. I’m not...
second opinion] Hello. I’m not feeling well and my lab test show that I have normal urine bilirubin but double urine urobilinogen. The reference values are 0-17 and I’m at 34.... what can it be due to. I’m 33 year old
Also my stool is paler. And I have constant nausea. Which is why all the test were done in the first place.
3/15/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Ok

Hello, If you have the reports in hand, can you upload the reports please.

I need to see the liver function tests, urine routine, urine for bile salts and bile pigments and kidney function tests if they have done.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7

Hi...I have gone through all your reports.

Normally high urobilinogen in urine is suggestive of a liver disease or hepatitis or a low hemoglobin due to blood break down. But your liver function test parameters and the kidney function test parameters, thyroid profile and even the hemoglobin is normal. The vitamin B12 too is normal.

You need not worry at all. This high urobilinogen could be the result of a - a false positive due to less fluid intake or an erroneous test result.

I suggest you to repeat only urine urobilinogen after a week after good amount of fluid intake regularly for a week

It should settle down.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

I know all looks normal. But what about the pale stool ? Can’t it be due to the urobili?
Also my direct bilirubin is in the range but the higher end

Yes..it can be. But when the LFT is normal, you need not be worried even if you have pale stool please.

But in relative terms, the total bilirubin and indirect component and direct component are matching (and all are in normal ranges) and it settles the matter that you do not have a serious liver disorder please.

Not even a blockage of the bile ?
A partial one maybe ? I don’t know
also you say that inadequate water intake can cause this ?
Hi.... In blockade of bile duct there will be very high bilirubin levels and your SAP or serum Alkaline phosphatase would have been very very high.Partial blockage of bile duct with obstructive symptoms would have given the same biochemical results so do not worry about it.Yes, inadequate water intake can cause increased urobilinogen in the urine due to concentrating effect.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Ok thank you
Last question. My spleen was « longer » than average on a scan last year ... could it be hemolytic Anemia due to the spleen? Or it would caise more blood work irregularities?
Hi... It cannot be hemolytic anaemia, as one year without treatment your hemoglobin would not have been normal.Moreover I have seen your CBC report and other hemoglobin indices in that which are not suggestive of hemolytic anaemia. You do not have hemolytic anaemia at all and you can be rest assured about it.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Ok thank you