Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If I have a post nasal drip that will not stop in north

If I have a...

If I have a post nasal drip that will not stop in north Texas. Does it make sense for me to travel to a low allergy location over the weekend?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Post nasal drip, non-stop using all the meds

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Taking Zyrtec Flonase

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Benadryl at night Bromide iodine twice daily

3/15/2018
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor

My name is***** and am reviewing your question now.

How long are you having this symptom? Did you moved to a new place? Any other associated symptoms such as facial pressure, fever, headache, cough?

I had a cold or flu, at this point the only thing left is a post nasal drip, that seems to get stuck in the lower throat/nasal passage and it prevents sleep. I have seen doctors and I am taking Zyrtec, Flonase, ipratropium and neti pot. I have to get sleep. Would it make sense to go to a low allergen location over the weekend? Addtionallly, I had azelastine prescribes from my internal medicine doc but the net told me to use the iprtropium instead...your thoughts?

Thanks for the information.

From your description, it does not look like you are prone of allergy. Your symptoms could be the part of allergy or sinus infection which can present like this. I see that you are taking meds to control your allergy, but not really helping out. If the problem is not due to allergy, then going out of town would not be beneficial. Therefore, you have to pin point the cause of post nasal drip. I suggest you to get x-ray para-nasal sinus to see if there is anything significant in sinuses. In the mean time continue using your meds and use mask to prevent allergens getting into your system. As far as azelastine is concerned, it's very effective in treating allergic rhinitis which can present with post nasal drip. Therefore, you can go for it.

Please leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that Ican get the credit for my time with you. If you have any follow-up question,you can reply to this post.

Regards,

Dr. Shah

Can I use the Azeltime even with the Zyrtec, Flonase and Ipratropium Bromide?

You can drop Zyrtec since azelastine is also antihistamine and taking both together would cause side effects.

Take care,

Now you can leave a positive rating by clicking stars on your screen so that I can get the credit for my time with you.

Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor