Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've been dealing with chronic pancreatitis for many yrs,

I've been dealing with...

I've been dealing with chronic pancreatitis for many yrs, I've had 3 ERCP surgeries, 2&3 yrs ago and unable to have another since the Dr was aggressive on the last surgery and actually ripped one of my ducts. Things have gone downhill the last 4-6 mos, I've lost over 30 lbs and now I am unable to eat anything, I can barely handle water. I'm wondering if this condition can affect my menstrual cycle? I'm working with a DO Dr to get my hormones back in order, which I was getting reg cycles which have now stopped about 4-5 mos ago. Also, I have an area on my upper right thigh that has gone numb, it's been about a month now. I'm seeing a surgeon at the Mayo clinic but they couldn't get me in till May 2. I have a feeling there's something more serious going on and feel an urgency to be seen. Can you help wth any answers? Thank you, ***** ***** is*****: How long have you been using hormones? Has it helped at all?

I'm using all natural hormone replacement. It's been bout 9 mos. Yes it did help for awhile. But suddenly stopped again. I'm also seeing a Functional Medicine/Nutritionist Dr to get my insides healed. I was VERY depleted all the way around on my blood work.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides hormone for this?

For...? My menstrual?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've been ill and fighting the chronic pancreatitis for about 10-11 yrs, finally diagnosed in 2015.

Over the last month-5 weeks I've been in a continuous flare up. I'm not able to consume food, the pain and horrible gas and some food went right thru me. I put myself on a liquid diet and cannot even handle bone broth. I haven't eaten anything in 3 days now
3/15/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

in the last 2 weeks I've only had bout 6 cups broth and one night I was so starving I ate a Filet Mignon, I handled that ok at the time but since then, last Fri, I've had 3 cups of bone broth

I am sorry you have had such bad pancreatitis.

you may benefit from going on pancreatic enzymes like creon to help you with digestion and absorption of nutrients

I am on Creon that isn't helping anymore

have you consulted with a GI doctor

you may need to get stool testing to check for fat content in the stool

and also a colonoscopy to check for colon and bowel inflammation.

I am going to go to the Mayo in May.
I was going to the U of M but my husband found that mayo is#1 in GI

that is good

you should see a IG doctor and get more GI and bowel testing

you may need pill endoscopy to look down into your small bowel and a colonoscopy

University of Minnesota is also very good as well.

My main ?s today are... Can this affect menstrual cycles? And bout month ago a LG area on my upper right thigh had gone numb, any link to my chronic pancreatitis?

yes, weight loss, stress, poor digestion can definitely cause irregular menstrual cycles.

most likely not pancreatiits

but if you have lose a lot of weight, you could have a slipped disk in your lower back pinching a nerve which can cause numbness in a large part of your right upper thigh area.

I do have a curve scoliosis, with 3 curves and a VERY messed up neck on top of off it

lower back spine issues and slipped disks can pinch nerves and cause numbness in the thigh area

an MRI scan of the lumbosacral spine can give more information about the nerves and disks there.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician