Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I keep spitting up blood in the middle of the night. Why…

Customer Question
I keep spitting up...

I keep spitting up blood in the middle of the night. Why does this only happen at night and do I need to be concerned. I've also spit up a small blood clot

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Fine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I do have GERD, I've also been told recently I have a bone Island in my lung but I don't know why that's growing or what that is. I also wake up in the middle of the night constantly burping and if I don't burp then I have trouble breathing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 4 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How old are you? Male/ Female?
Since when are you having the symptom?
Do you have any other symptom?
Any other past illness?
Did you consult doctor or have any test?
Did you take any medicine?

I am 39 female I've been spitting up blood but only in the middle of the night for about 2 weeks. The burping in the middle of the night and choking from it has been going on for over 6 months. Also sometimes when I swallow it seems to pop and I have difficulty swallowing especially fluids. I do not take medicine except for some occasional Tums
do I have anything to be concerned about

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
There can be a few causes.
This can be from the mouth like gum bleeding .
In other cases it can be from throat, lungs.
Here the common cause is an infection.
Reflux of blood as from an ulcer of stomach can be there.
As you have GERD, burping at night, it can be a factor here.
In some cases no cause is found.
I would advise to take an examination by doctor.
Meanwhile, you can take Nexium or zantac.
Those are available over the counter.
You can take Gas X too to reduce burping.
Please take bland, non spicy diet.
You may keep the head end of bed raised a little during sleep.
Please avoid smoking, alcohol, if you take any.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.