Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have numbness in both hands when sleeping at nite with…

Customer Question
I have numbness in...

I have numbness in both hands when sleeping at nite with them positioned above my heart. Once waking up and lowering my hands feeling returns within seconds. I am a 60 year old male. My blood pressure avg is 131/87. I have no other physical concerns. Is there a problem developing here? I also have noticed the numbness getting worse as I have aged over the last 10 years

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

No significant heart Disease. Father passed away at 84 and developed Heart problems at about 80 years of age and required a pacemaker at 82. Before that no heart problems. None with Molther either. She passed away at 77 from cancer. Feel good. Exercise at Gym two to three times a week

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/15/2018
Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hi... I understand your concern.This is a very common issue and I would say this is not a problem at all. This is the reason why I refer to it has become an issue and not a common problem.The most common reason for this is positional compression of the blood vessels at and around the joints and when the blood supply is hampered then automatically then nerves distributing the area go into numbness.This is very evident by the fact that you get relieved of this particular numbness as soon as you put the hands now and pressure on the blood vessels gets relieved at the shoulder joint.But there is one significant point, which you have told that it has been getting worse for the past 10 years. This means that the internal lumen of the blood vessels supplying the hands are getting narrower.But as you are not a hypertensive and you are having regular exercise and there is no family history of any other issues which lead on to early health problems you need not worry at all about this.But at any point of time if you feel that the numbness is taking a lot of time to recover then you should take up through physical examination by an internal medicine specialist." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

I will be glad to be of assistance to you if you have any further questions in this health regard please

Kind regards – Dr. Sumanth Amperayani