Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm sorry, but this is a fairly and somewhat complex

Hello, I'm sorry, but this is...
I'm sorry, but this is a fairly long and somewhat complex question. I have talked to Dr. D. Love about an upcoming drug screen for THC, and I need some clarification. This is for a pain clinic where they prescribe me Percocet for Degenerative Disc Disorder, and they now want me to stop THC. The test will be in just under a month. The problem is that I use THC as 1, a supplement with Percocet and Ibuprofen for pain, 2, to help with my anxiety disorder, and 3, to help with insomnia, and I don't want to entirely quit. First off, you need to know that I have epilepsy. I take 1500mg of Depakote, 200mg of Vimpat, 100mg of Lamictal, 1mg of Klonopin & 20mg of Celexa every night before bed, and also take one 5-325 Percocet pill every 12 hours daily as needed. The first question is: if I take a detox cleanser, such as "Rescue Clear" to pass the screen for THC, will it also eliminate the levels of the aforementioned medications? Drugs like Depakote should maintain a certain therapeutic range level to prevent seizures (hope I'm explaining this right, as I'm not a neurologist, but I think the Valproic Acid is metabolized in the liver). If the detox cleanser did make me go below the correct levels, how long before I'm back to a proper therapeutic range? Secondly, I'm fairly certain that the drug screen will be looking to make sure I have the Klonopin in my system, as it is a prescribed controlled substance, and will definitely be looking to make sure the Percocet is in my system, since that's actually what the screen is usually for (they want to make sure you're not selling your pills or taking too many so that you've run out before the next monthly visit). They never minded the THC until now that I have a new PA-C. But since they do now, I would discontinue smoking for a week before the test. From what I understand, the cleansing process should begin somewhere around two hours before the test is scheduled. I've done this before quite a few years ago, and I just remember urinating many, many times. Once I'm done with the drink, I'll be urinating frequently, and the THC, Klonopin and Percocet will disappear. I want the THC gone, but not the others. However, if I begin taking extra Klonopin (which my doctor told me was safe up to a certain point) and Percocet (again, there is a limit which I've discussed with my doctor) after my first few urinations, how long will it take to reenter my urine stream? Of course I have the option of not using THC anymore, but for me, that is the last option. Please help.
Thank You
3/15/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello again.

There is no evidence in the medical literature that these "detox" products actually detox the body, if the definition of detox is getting the drug out of the blood stream. And when I say that there is no evidence in the medical literature that this product works, this includes in the context of someone trying tp pass a urine test or in other situations in which it would be desirable to lower blood levels quickly, such as an overdose. If there were a product that worked to lower blood levels quickly, it would be a life saving treatment in many overdose situations, and there is no evidence that a detox product actually will lower blood levels.

To whatever extent a "detox" product helps a person pass a urine test, it is likely because it causes dilution of the urine. Diluting the urine does not really get rid of drugs faster, but whatever drug is present will be at a lower concentration. It is worth noting that simply drinking extra fluids is a common intervention to try to pass a urine test. Even within this context of this mechanism of action, there is no evidence in the medical literature that a detox product works better than simply drinking extra fluids. The company that makes the product is not obligated to publish any research in the medical literature, as they can claim that it is proprietary information, but I can only tell you that there is no evidence in the medical literature.

If the product helps someone pass a urine test solely by its effect on diluting the urine, then that is good news from the perspective of your concern that you anti-epileptic medicines may get too low in your system. So, I do not think that you need to be concerned about causing seizures by taking this product. Nor do you have to worry about how long it will take to achieve therapeutic levels again.

However, diluting the urine potentially will affect drug levels in the urine for all the drugs that you are taking, including the Klonopin and Percocet. Since dilution of the urine is most likely to cause a negative test in someone that has a urine concentration that is closer to the threshold, taking a dose of Klonopin and Percocet 2-4 hours before the drug test, so that the level in the urine will be increasing, will most likely allow the urine test for Klonopin and Percocet to be positive.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That definitely answers the question as far as my epilepsy medications, and is definitely a good thing. As for the detox cleansing drinks, I believe they are supposed to work better because they contain the proper amount of Vitamin B and/or creatine so the urine doesn't appear so diluted. Still don't know whether I want to risk it, but I at least have good information now. It'd be really nice if I could take the same test for practice well beforehand, but unfortunately I don't have a lab in my basement. Thank you!
Dr. D. Love, Doctor