Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother has chronic diareea, and nausea feeling most of…

My mother has chronic diareea...
My mother has chronic diareea, and nausea feeling most of the day at different times ,she is also on meds for depression and stress . Dealing with a lot of stress , and being a caregiver for my dad. She has seen several very good gastrologist , and also they have found nothing after two colonoscopies , and a recent endoscopy . So with finding nothing wrong upper or lower . and she’s been on colitis medicine , she takes a probiotics . and cymbalta for depression and stress . Is there be a doctor you could refer, a specialist for depression and to possibly recommend another type of antidepressant that could work better with this issue she has been having for too long. Also , is there a doctor that her primary physician could refer her too , located in Columbia SC or anywhere close to evaluate her issues please
No one knows what is wrong with her and she is loosing weight . She’s not very big at 122 pounds
Still waiting yes
3/15/2018
Connie Pennington

Good morning. I am Dr. Pennington. I am a colorectal surgeon. I am glad your mother has seen GI, and had standard medical care. Can you tell me what medications have been prescribed for "colitis" if colonoscopy was normal. Also which probiotic specifically is she taking? Cymbalta is known to cause urgency/diarrhea by the way, and yes there are many other antidepressants to choose from. When medical work ups are complete but symptoms remain, I usually begin a functional medicine approach that may include food sensitivity testing, stool analysis, correcting diet and microbiome, that kinda thing. Do you think this is a path you would like to pursue?

Connie Pennington
Good morning , yes it would be wonderful if you could help her . I will get the list of medication , and get to you as soon as I have , and is there any way I can pay for a phone consultation , or are you located in Columbia SC please . . I could take a picture of everything also if that would be better , or what ever you would like of what she is taking , and send if that would be ok too , And she is going to be having a gluten test next week I believe ,it is to check for whatever they do I’m not sure exactly of breath test, of some sort. She was tested for this about three years ago when all this started and it was negative but I’ve since pushed her to have another one done ,because things could changed with her eating habits , and she is also keeping a diet record of what she’s eating every day . So last night I thought possibly her Cymbalta might need to be changed, it was worth a try , or maybe the medicine she’s taking needs to be different because the Cymbalta might not be working so good or whatever, she’s always upset and crying more now , but that was just something i thought we would try asking about , and then I saw this website again I’ve used before , was asking these questions to the doctors , because no doctors she has seen thus far ,can not figure it out . Except for stress and being upset with my dad most of the time , about things he gets very fussy with her a lot during every day because he is upset he can’t help her and the stroke has him very very frustrated . Ok we will round up meds and we will call you or she will if I’m not still her when you request we call you back or what ever you say we need to do . Thank you so much for trying to help her
I will just Waite back for further instructions on calling too

I wold love to talk to you. I am in TN, so we are in the same time zone. Lets plan on a phone conversation this afternoon. I want to free up and be able to talk to you a while. We can shoot for 4:15 pm.

I am here with her now and that sounds great , the only problem she would rather talk when she is not with my father , that will be at you request of coarse . He gets upset because the doctors that have said her stress is cause from his issues and fussing . Then that really gets his feelings hurt . I tell ya it’s very hard to try to figure out what to do . Let me say also they have been married 59 years , and grew up next door to each other , they are both from Johnson City TN. He also wants to be there right with her ,every minute , and usually every conversation he wants to be involved . I’m sorry . She does not use the computer so she cannot email. Is there any way possible she could make a phone consultation for 11:15 tomorrow , when he is having his therapist appointment, or this morning when she leaves for hair appointment at 11:00 or , she could call , or he will be at therapy today after 4:45 she could talk after 4:30 after she drops him off . I’m sorry , I know you do not schedule around people’s schedule . I’m going to send the meds list to you now also
Her meds
Other

Please contact ************* , I’m sorry I gave the (request a phone call people ) the wrong number

Phone call session started

It was great talking to you. I will be here if you have any further concerns.