Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My mother has chronic diareea and is also stressed out and…

My mother has chronic...

My mother has chronic diareea and is also stressed out and depressed , I’m wondering if the chronic diareea and the ddepresion has something to do with everything she’s dealing with and possibly there is a antidepressant that would be best for treating ibs with depression stress and anxiety . She has had every test they could ever run but they cannot find a single problem

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

Yes it’s been going on for about three years and she has had several test and some of the Gastroneurologist say it is stress so I’m wondering if she changes her antidepressant is there something better she could be taking rather than Cymbalta

Is there somebody that can help me
3/15/2018
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience, and will help with your query.Depression ,anxiety and insomnia need to be assessed regularly by a mental health professional,preferably a Psychiatrist,who can assess her problem and guide her therapy.The cause of Chronic diarrhea needs to be assessed by her PCP/Physician who can investigate and treat it.It is possible that Irritable Bowel Syndrome may accompany her anxiety and depression.Adequate therapy will probably help out the symptoms of both her problems.She probably needs a change in her antidepressant and addition of anxiolytics apart from other drugs.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Could you recommend a doctor that would be suitable for her condition , located in Columbia SC . She’s been to several gastroenterologist , 2 colonoscopies, she just had an endoscopy last week they find nothing so the gas turn all a just can’t help her could you please recommend a doctor suitable for her Columbia South Carolina please and they do have her on different meds but she does take the Cymbalta and I’m thinking that maybe she needs to switch to something different can you please help me with these questions , we are desperate