Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a small (2 mm approx) spot on my inner cheek of my…

I have a small...

I have a small (2 mm approx) white spot on my inner cheek of my face. It is circular for the most part. The edges feel rough when I touch the area with my tongue. It is white for the most part with a little pink in the middle. I am concerned if this is mouth cancer.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

No but I can if you want.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have not been to the dentist in a few years. I DO NOT smoke or chew. And I never have. I drink wine or beer on occasion (maybe like 1-3 glasses per week).

I am not sure if my question went through?
3/15/2018
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician

Hello

I am Dr Pravin

I would be happy to assist you

I have received your query

Would you be able to send me a photo of the tongue and the white patch in the inner cheek area.

Regards

Here is my tongue but I am not noticing any spots on that. Only my inner cheek which I will send next.

Yes , awaiting your inner cheek photos

thanks

Here is the best picture that I can take of the spot. It isn't the best picture. Also please note that I was trying to pull / hold my cheek out with a spoon to get a better picture and I irritated it so the red spot next to the white circle thing is just new from probably hurting it with the spoon. Hope that makes sense.In this picture, I am concerned about the white little circle with pink in the middle and then farther back there is a little red spot.
Again important to note the the red bruising next to the white spot is what I just did to myself when taking this photo. That red wasn't there prior.
The white circle is smooth but the edges feel rough when I touch it with my tongue.I have had this for about 7 - 9 days. I could feel it with my tongue but today is the first day that I looked at it with a flashlight. So I am not sure if it has changed in appearance. Based on feel with the tongue, it doesn't seem like it has changed or grown.

Thank you for the image sent.

Yes , this is definitely of a concern as the area is inflamed. The spot which is white with pink in the middle which is farther away from the red new spot needs to be examined.

This can be an infection focus and can even be due to cyst of the glands that has grown.

This needs an antibiotic course for 5 days

You would also need to get some chlorhexidine mouth washes to keep the area less inflamed and also apply triamcinolone mouth paste that you can get otc on the area for 10 days

In case it does not heal then you get the area biopsy done if needed. Do you have any lymph nodes below your jawline?

I did irritate the white area earlier in that I was trying to remove the white stuff and it started to bleed when I was brushing it.
I did check for swollen lymph nodes and do not notice any in my jaw or neck.Do I got to a regular doctor for this or a dentist?Does it look like oral cancer?

Yes , that could be the reason for the inflammation. Do the following as mentioned above and should go away for in 10 days for sure. I am 100 % sure. It does not look like oral cancer . You go to the dentist for this condition.

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

I have released the rating service application on your page.

Please do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. I don't mean to continue to bother you, but I just to be sure I understand. You feel like this could be an infection, correct? But that I also irritated it when brushing it.Also, you don't feel like this is the start of oral cancer? I am very concerned as you can tell.
Again, sorry for my follow up questions.
Did you see my last questions?

Thank you for your information.

Yes it may have got irritated when you brushed it!

You should give the antibiotic a chance and if does not go away get it checked personally by the dentist .

It can also happen if you eat very spicy food , if sharp tooth is scraping on the area.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

Ok. Thank you again. But based on what you are seeing, do you think it look like the start of cancer?

No it does not look like its a start of cancer from the picture sent.

Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Thanks.

Thanks