Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with allergic contact dermatitis last week…

Hello, I was diagnosed...

Hello, I was diagnosed with allergic contact dermatitis last week and was prescribed triamcinolone acetonide .1% to use on the face. I have used twice a day for 7 days in addition to Avene moisturizer and seen great improvement. I will now be stopping the topical steroid. My question is, this morning when I cleansed my face I wiped off a lot of the gunk from the moisturizer/steroid buildup and the skin was pretty delicate. Since this was my final day of using the steroid, I decided to apply one last thin layer for any remaining redness. I experienced a slight stinging feeling upon application which went away quickly. I hope this is normal and has not caused any skin damage! Everything has cleared up and I will continue with just the Avene moisturizer, but wanted to make sure the skin should be ok with this sensation. Thank you!

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

After 4 days of red, inflamed skin I consulted the doctor who prescribed me the Triamcinolone cream, and used it for exactly 7 days. Today was the final day of using the steroid, and now will return to regular Avene moisturizer. No other skin concerns besides me applying the Triamcinolone to the delicate skin this morning.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Later that day I applied the regular Avene with some aquaphor..the next day I continued with cool compresses but noticed my skin was very red in the evening. I immediately washed everything off with a gentle cleanser and the skin was no longer red, but still feels quite raw. I have only been spritzing with the Avene thermal water now. Do you think the redness was caused from the skin sensitivity to the Triamcinolone on face or from adding the aquaphor with my avene moisturizer? Now that I washed my face and everything is off, the redness is almost all gone. I plan to only stick with Avene moisturizer/thermal water here on out. Just want to know if I reacted to the Triamcinolone or from the aquaphor. Thank you!
3/14/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The skin redness was due to the buildup of the topical medication which causes it to macerate. This is a reversible process and can take up to 48 to 72 hours to heal up. The outer layer of the skin, the epidermis is affected in this process and it regenerates very rapidly on the face.

During this period of sensitivity, I would advise that you be very gentle with the skin. Protect it from direct sunlight, hot water, and dirt or dust. Do not apply any cosmetic products on the skin especially perfumed creams or soaps.

You can coat the skin with a very thin layer of the aquaphor, this will not cause any problems. Most importantly, please refrain from scratching the area. If you feel itchy distract yourself or take an antiallergic like Cetrizine or Benadryl.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! I've just been so confused with what's been going on! I was so nervous to wash my face again today when I saw the redness and thought I maybe should not have added the aquaphor..But all the gunk came off and maybe in hindsight it was the best thing I could have done because now my face is clean and there is no more medication on it, and the redness went away. Will I be able to wear EltaMd sunscreen on Saturday to make a hair appointment? Till then, I will stay inside... Also, for tonight do you recommend only doing Avene thermal water spritzes and applying the Avene moisturizer in the morning? I just don't know if I should apply anything tonight as I just washed my face and it feels all raw....THANK YOU!

For tonight I suggest you go mild on your skin. The new skin is like baby skin and is very easily irritated. Aquaphor will be a good choice to sleep with at night and yes, you can wear the sunscreen on Saturday. In 2 days, the epidermis will have resurfaced over the raw areas. I am sorry but I can not take calls at this time. We can go back and forth here.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a 5-star rating for the service.

Best wishes.

One more thing - you can wear the sunscreen but that still means that you should avoid direct sun exposure. And this precaution should be taken for about 2 weeks. And yes, you can use both the Avene products you have mentioned by tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No worries, this is a fine way to communicate. Thank you so much for answering my questions. I just didn't like the aquaphor because it takes forever to get off the face. The Avene Tolerance Cream is the only thing I trust at this point. Would it be fine to continue with Thermal water spritzes for now, and sleep without using anything then apply the moisturizer tomorrow? Or should I have the moisturizer on tonight. The skin is so sensitive, I hope I shouldn't be concerned with scarring or anything. I was compliant with the 7 days of Triamcinolone, but am happy to be done with it and on to recovery.

There is absolutely no concern with scarring, in fact, this might give you a better glow once healed.

You can use both the Avene products if you trust them, they are good products.

Good luck!

Please do leave a 5-star rating for the service. Take good care.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are amazing! And you are right, I definitely have a raw glow! But would prefer to feel 100% again. Can I apply Jane Iredale powder over my Elta MD or should I avoid mascara, concealer or any other products?

Avoid them for at least 48 hours. You should be good after that.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok also, over the next few days should I continue with cool water compresses? or just thermal water/avene moisturizer..

Cool compresses only if you feel there is swelling or if there is any irritation and/or pain. Thermal water/avene moisturizer is okay to use.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you! So that slight stingy sensation from the triamcinolone and gentle washing of the face this evening shouldn't be any concern for scarring or tearing of the tender skin? Just got so worried about any effect on the texture of the skin!

Absolutely not! Relax.

Tender, loving, care is all it needs for the next 48 hours.

Take good care!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr. Uzair. I used the Avene Tolerance Cream again today and think I've realized what the problem is. The skin has been so delicate that when I apply it I don't rub it in because I feel it may be too harsh, so I dab it on...slowly throughout the day however, the more layers I add, the build up creates a lot of heat under the skin because it of the layered globs of cream...my skin then starts to get very red and I have to wash it off and immediately the redness goes away....I am not sure what to do at this point because I'm all red again...I do have Cerave moisturizer on hand to switch to which may not be has heavy as the cream, and will gently rub it in this time. However do you think the hylauronic acid would irritate it? Are there any very gentle moisturizers you'd recommend from CVS or Whole Foods? I am so worried I might irritate it with anything else....
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dr. Uzair, are you available at the moment?
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor