Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For 4 years now I have had sharp radiating pain in both

Customer Question
For 4 years now...

For 4 years now I have had sharp radiating pain in both legs. If I sit for a prolonged time when I get up, I can barely walk. I am 63 years old. The pain is worse when lying in bed. Keeps me up all night. Side sleeping is the worst. I have been checked for arthritis and circulation. Have no problem with either. The only medication I take is levothyrocin for thyroid. Blood pressure is 117/86. My doctor has no clue! Says maybe it is sciatica. When reading symptoms for sciatica it doesn't sound like mine. I need relief and nothing works. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been using Levothyroxine? Has it helped at all?

The levothyrocin keeps my thyroid at a normal level. I have been taking for 6 years.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides Levothyroxine for this?

No, nothing else. Would a thyroid drug cause leg problems?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Other than my legs I am quite healthy.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
3/14/2018
Doctor: Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Dear *****ient. Because of the characteristics of the impressive symptoms that are due to a nervous compression at the lumbar level.
Due to its age the column deteriorates as a natural process and will depend on its activity.
When some nervous compression occurs due to a herniation in the lumbar spine, it can compress the medulla, generating symptoms of pain, changes in sensation, loss of strength in the lower extremities.
By exerting tension on the spine when sitting for a long time, or changing positions, nerves that are possibly compressed are irritated even more.
These hernias may worsen if there is imbalance of the lumbar spine due to deterioration of the lumbar musculature.
In your case, I suggest that you perform a neurological examination of the lower limbs, reflexes and sensitivity should be evaluated.
MRI of the lumbar spine and electromyography must be performed.
Once confirmed, treatment with muscle rehabilitation and strengthening of the lumbar spine begins.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.