Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am experiencing irregular bowel habits. The last week to 2…

I am experiencing irregular bowel...
I am experiencing irregular bowel habits.
The last week to 2 my bowels have been inconsistent and sometimes very uncomfortable. I had diarrhea 5 days ago a little bit and cleaned my diet and had a regular bowel movement yesterday.Just so inconsistent.
I suffer from bad anxiety and OCD and was wondering if this contributes..
I also have this mystery sensation that feels like I have to pee but don't actually have to pee.
It's like a fullness either my prostate bladder or anus. I can't tell.
It's not too painful, just irritating.
I have had this once again in pas and it went away on its own.
I noticed it has happened after having an orgasm.I am 27 years old. Male
And had a full physical at the end of 2017 which was all normal
Looking for help !God bless
3/14/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am colorectal surgeon. I am pretty sure I can help you.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time.

There is a condition of pelvic floor muscle spasm called Levator Syndrome that I bet you have experienced. It is benign, but aggravating.

Also sounds like you have a little IBS.

Can you tell me a little about your typical diet. Beverages. Any medications?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No medications.Recently, because I lost my job and career I have been eating very cheap poor food. Pasta and cereal etc.I am however used to eating a plant based diet
Leafy greens, clean protein nuts seeds etc.
Balanced and healthy. I also used to do intermittent fasting.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying to clean up my diet now. I don't know...It feels now like a light pressure in my penis and anus/prostate right now . It's very irritating
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am currently eating a little organic oatmeal with a little peanut butter.

Well, the healthy diet is the best for sure.

Levator Syndrome is a bit of pelvic spasm that involves all the pelvic floor muscles. You can feel tightness in the bladder, rectum/anus and penis.

Does it wake you up at night?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. But when it flares I take a hot bath and shower and it helps a bit
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The feeling in bladder and penis is usually the worst of it.
But no burning when peeing

Muscle spasm is usually relieved by sitting in hot water.

The bladder and penis pain is really affected by this type of spasm. This is a stress response.

Hot water relaxes the muscles, and......you can learn to do that with your breath. Breathing exercises to for the pelvic floor is quite helpful. I often refer people to yoga!

These spasms seem to affect the Type A personality the most (high strung people).

There are all types of remedies such as muscle relaxors, valium, and even botox injections, but they are all temporary and controlling the underlying stress works the best.

At your age, I doubt there is anything serious to worry about, but I would highly recommend you see a colorectal surgeon if you continue to have issues.

Connie Pennington
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. This has been a ton of help ! Thank you so much !But your not thinking there is anything to really worry about ?

No, no, I do not think it is anything serious at all. It is very common actually. Just a little stress reduction is all that is needed. Good luck to you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That makes sense I have been under intense stress lately and anxiety this last month.Makes sense
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
God bless and thank you for your help !

God Bless you as well, and prayers for good health!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you !
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington