Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having pain and numbness in both my hands I am…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having pain and numbness in both my hands I am also a diabetic and I have pretty severe spinal injuries which I’ve had multiple surgeries on I also know I have bulging disc in my neck what could be causing the pain in my hands and numbness ?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

It’s been about four months now but it seems to have gotten worse I now have it in both hands which I haven’t experienced before

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

The middle of November a woman ran a red light and smashed into the front of my car no airbags were deployed I get to see my doctor the following morning and he did x-rays and did not find anything.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
3/14/2018
Doctor: Edgar Rubio Villegas, Doctor replied 5 months ago
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Dear *****ient, For the symptoms that you describe impresses a neuralgia of the cervical spine.
Due to its traumatic antecedent it has a high probability that there is a nervous compression.
When a nerve is irritated and even more so in a diabetic patient, it generates alterations in the conduction of the nervous impulse.
Generating numbness, alterations in sensitivity, inflammation and pain.
These pains get worse with activity.
Nervous entrapment is not visible with simple x-rays, so in your case it is necessary to perform an MRI of the cervical spine and an electromyography of superior mimebrae.
With these studies you can confirm the suspicions.
Once confirmed, neuromodulators can be used to improve nerve conduction and improve inflammation.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.