Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am trying to figure out why i smell like alcohol all of a…

Customer Question
Hi i am trying...

Hi i am trying to figure out why i smell like alcohol all of a sudden in the last week. i do not drink bc of interaction with meds

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Verapamil, metoprolol, lithium, synthroid, protonix, soma, gabapentin, geodon, belsomra. not allergic to any meds

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Only that i have ibs and got plugged up last week, when smell started. back to normal gi issues now tho

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 6 days by:
3/21/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sabina, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sabina
Dr. Sabina, Doctor

Hello Jamie and welcome! I'm Dr. Sabina and I look forward to helping you with your question today. I'll be back in just a moment with my reply.

If you are not drinking alcohol but feel that you smell like alcohol (either your breath, urine or body smells like alcohol) in medicine the most common reason is something called ketoacidosis. This is when your body makes too many ketones - which smell like alcohol (think of acetone or nail polish remover). Some people also describe it as a fruity smell.

The body can make too many ketones when the blood sugar is too high, like in uncontrolled diabetes, or when the body is in starvation.

Of your medications, none of them are high on the list of causing this condition, although antipsychotics can sometimes cause diabetes (but Geodon is less likely than others in this class).

If you haven't checked in with your doctor recently, I would encourage you to mention this and get your blood sugar checked as well as your urine for ketones, these are very simple lab tests.

I hope this was helpful for you. Please remember that Just Answer is for educational information only and not medical advice. If I can help you further with your question please me know. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon!