Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a baggage handler for United Airlines. I have been

Hello. My name...

Hello. My name is Pam. I am a baggage handler for United Airlines. I have been lifting, pulling and pushing bags for 21+ years now. In the most recent years I have been experiencing tingling and numbness at night which wakes me and sometimes turns into throbbing pain in my hands and up my arms

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

When I have a busy day at work, overuse possibly! What type of doctor would I start with to diagnose this?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not so much swelling, but tenderness. Sister had juvenile diabetes at 9 and is 58 now. Two other siblings have sensitivities to food and arthritis. All of us active.

3/14/2018
Edgar Rubio Villegas

Hello Pam, I´m Dr. Rubio

Welcome a JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Please give me a minute to review your question.

Dear Pam Can you tell me your age?

50

Symptoms are equal on both sides of the upper limbs?

mostly the right... I use that side most but occurs on left on a busy days work

Please, allow me a moment while I write your answer.

I appreciate the waiting time.

Should I still wait?

yes.

Dear Pam, for the symptoms that you describe and for the antecedents of your work a Cervical pathology should be ruled out.
In the cervical spine it is subject to tension due to prolonged standing or sitting positions, in weight lifting, or trades that involve having the head tilted forward.
Over the years, the cervical spine undergoes a degenerative deterioration due to age that can increase its deterioration due to the activity we perform.
In your case, you should rule out a hernia at the cervical level and osteoarthritis that can compress the nerves that are distributed in the upper limbs.
Symptoms of the neck are varied, may present neck pain or tension, progressive loss of strength in upper extremities, changes in sensation and pain of the limb.
This type of diseases correspond to occupational diseases.
In your case, I consider that you should perform some studies to confirm your disease, such as an MRI of the cervical spine, an electromyography of the upper limbs and a detailed examination of the reflexes.

for the moment I suggest the following medical treatment with analgesic such as Diclofenac 50 mg(1) one tablet every 8 hours for 5 days in addition to a muscle relaxant such as Tizanidine 2 mg (1) one tablet at night for 10 days

Thank you

but you should go to a consultation to rule out these situations.
Do you have any questions?

Edgar Rubio Villegas

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Your satisfaction is my goal. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen so that I can get the credit for helping you. Thank you!

Regards.