Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

On Jan. 2017 I had an MRI after being a passenger in a car…

On Jan. 2017 I had...
On Jan. 2017 I had an MRI after being a passenger in a car crash. The MRI saw cysts on my thyroid. I don't have health insurance but paid out of pocket for a thyroid blood panel a few months later in July, 2017. Can you help me interpret those test results from the blood work?
3/14/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Please give me a moment to review your test results.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem, thank you!

Thank you for waiting. Your complete blood count (CBC) is normal, no signs of anemia and a normal platelet and white blood cell count. The complete metabolic panel (CMP) was also very good, normal electrolytes, with normal kidney and liver function. Finally, your thyroid panel also looks completely fine, with normal thyroid hormone levels. The cysts that showed up on your MRI are not affecting your thyroid function at this time based upon your results.

Can I help with anything else today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is original MRI report where they noted my prominient thyroid.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's good news to see my thyroid functioning is "normal." Is it at the "low end" of normal? I've often wondered if it was sluggish as my body temperature has always run very low, I also get freezing cold hands and feet easily, have a history of depression, and occiassionaly my fingers turn blue in cold or under stress.

Thank you for that additional information. When it comes to thyroid, basically, within the normal range is normal, whether at the lower or higher end. That being said, I did notice that your test did not include the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which usually comes along with a thyroid panel test. It would be helpful to have that added information, as the TSH, which is released by the pituitary gland in the brain, is what causes the thyroid to produce and release thyroid hormone. If your TSH was high, then it's possible that your brain is "yelling" at your thyroid to push it into overtime to maintain normal thyroid hormone levels, which could indicate a very early thyroid problem. I recommend talking to the doctor that ordered the thyroid test for you to see if you can have the test repeated with the TSH.

Any other questions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's very helpful to know about the TSH, thank you! One last question, do you know what could have caused the prominent thyroid that they caught on the MRI? Could it be stress? Is there anything I can do at home to support and fix it?

You're very welcome. I read the MRI result, and it sounds like mild thyroid prominence, which is basically a variation of normal, so no real need to do anything about it. No particular cause either, just along the spectrum of normal findings. Let me know if you need anything else.

If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it. Do you think my thyroid is related to a lifetime of low body temperature? I tend to be 97.13 upon waking in the morning and hover under 98.00 degrees unless I'm working out or in the heat.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, do you recommend I get a thyroid ultrasound as well, or do you think things seem good to go?

Sure. Your body temperature is normal, not related to your thyroid, so no worries there, in my opinion. Similarly, I don't think you need a thyroid ultrasound, given the mild findings on MRI and normal thyroid hormone levels, would not provide any additional significant information. The only thing I would get, and no rush, you could even wait until you get health insurance and/or need other routine blood work, would be the TSH level. I hope I've provided you with useful information today.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it, and you would recommend repeating the entire blood panel, not just TSH, correct? Sometimes you can save money by ordering blood tests directly from the lab, which is why I want to make sure I have the name right. https://www.health-tests-direct.com/

Yes, I would do the entire panel, from the website you listed, shown as below:

7444 Thyroid II (T4 Total, T3 Uptake, T7 + TSH) Thyroid II (T4 Total, T3 Uptake, T7 + TSH)

That way you can double check everything, in the context of a current TSH level.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect. Also, what does"questionable mild heterogeneous signal intensity especially in the right thyroid qirh several cystic changes" mean? I was just looking at the MRI results again and it's all Greek to me.

You're not far from the truth, in fact, many medical terms come from both Greek and Latin, :-)

Radiologists are a peculiar breed of doctor and basically tell other doctors exactly what they see, leaving it to the ordering doctor to decide whether or not to make a big deal over what they write, LOL. Basically that phrase you quoted means "possible but not sure mixed image shading in the right side of your thyroid with things that look like small bubbles." In light of your normal thyroid hormone levels, if you were my patient, I would not make much clinical significance of this MRI finding.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Bahahahahaha! Thank you!!!! That was the perfect explanation. I really appreciate you breaking everything down, so I don't have doubts left in the back of my mind. I feel really empowered now after wondering about it for months, I appreciate your patience.

You are so welcome! I enjoy helping people such as yourself feel more confident and in control of their own health matters. Have a great day!

Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD