Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having to breathe heavily every now and then which

I am having to...

I am having to breathe heavily every now and then which involves cough

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

It's been three weeks. No other symptoms but i am experiencing shortness of breath followed by cough

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing that i know of

3/14/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

What is your age and gender?

Do you or have you ever smoked?

Is the cough accompanied by sputum or mucus?

Anything else that you want to add in your symptoms, let me know.

I am getting this problem mostly in the night before i go to sleep and it stays for some time after i wake up in the morning

Sorry I can not take calls at this time. I am typing an answer for you. We can go back and forth here.

sure thats ok

The most common cause of night and early morning cough symptoms is acid reflux. Most of the patients that present to the Gastroenterology clinic with acid reflux have a cough as their presenting symptom. A sore throat is often a complaint too.

These symptoms are refractory to conventional remedies.

What happens is that the acid trickles up after dinner and especially when you lie down and keeps irritating the upper respiratory tract around the pharynx and the larynx causing it to get inflamed and sometimes also infected.

The best thing to do is to avoid eating within 3 hours before bedtime. Avoid spicy, salted, smoked and barbecued foods.

Avoid hot beverages and fizzy drinks including alcohol after 6 pm. And the one thing that helps the most is to sleep with a head up tilt of about 30 degrees. You can use a wedge pillow for this.

If you have noticed heartburn or a bitter taste at the back of your throat then you can also start on Prilosec 10 mg twice a day taken empty stomach.

With the above lifestyle and dietary modifications, the cough should subside within a week.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
It is just not about the cough. I am finding it hard to breathe and I'm having to take deep breaths which makes me cough. This problem has been there for three weeks now.
Dr. David, Radiation Oncology Attending Director
Phone call session started

Okay, have you been asthmatic or do you have any allergies?

I do not know if it is Asthma. I don't have any knowledge of having any allergies. I am just 25 years old and have not had Asthmatic problems till now

Alright. Sometimes, with irritated respiratory passageways due to allergies, asthma or upper respiratory tract infections or inflammatory conditions like bronchitis - the airways go in to a reactive bronchospasm and because it is always difficult to forcefully exhale air out of the respiratory passageways due to their natural configuration, a bronchospasm further makes this expulsion of air difficult causing a cough.

I do not think it is asthma, just wanted to rule it out. Asthma presents with chest pain, cough and a lot of mucus secretion and wheezing.

It will be worthwhile to see your PCP when you can and discuss these symptoms with him/her and get a chest x-ray done.

Meanwhile, try the above suggestions and see if they make your symptoms better.

Would you suggest any medication for this breathing problem?

No, for now, I will refrain from making any suggestions. But if at all, you might need a bronchodilator if this is bronchospasm, however, that is available on prescription only and your doctor will need to write that for you.

Steam nebulizations with menthol crystals are something very effective against bronchospasms. If you can get the menthol crystals from your pharmacy and do the steam inhalations three times a day each time for 10 minutes, it should help.

Okay thank you very much doctor
I really appreciate the help

Glad I could help.

Take good care.