Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 19 year old daughter had an IUD implanted a few months…

My 19 year old...

My 19 year old daughter had an IUD implanted a few months ago. It is now falling out to the point she can feel it, not just the strings. She has been in severe pain for weeks, and two days ago she called me with a rapid heartbeat and dizziness. She's also been extremely nauseated. She has an OBGYN appt. on Monday, but I'm worried there is something seriously wrong.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

She has had the pain since the IUD was implanted, but it's gotten increasingly worse over the last few weeks. No over the counter medications help at all.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

NO Yes. She has genital herpes. Not currently having an outbreak.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Pain and anxiety from the IUD could be the reason for raid heart beat and dizziness, but as per standard guidelines, any new cardiac symp***** *****ke palpitations, chest pain, dizziness or shortness of breath should be evaluated ASAP preferably in the ER.

This is because there might be other serious reasons for these symptoms like a cardiac arrhythmia, or circulation abnormality to heart or brain.

She should better go to ER and EKG should be done, which is a very useful and simple screening test to make sure there is nothing wrong with the heart.

Once a cardiac cause is ruled out, it will ease out the anxiety and stress, and then you can follow up with the ob/gyn as per schedule for removal/adjustment of the IUCD.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor