Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was stung by a wasp yesterday. My BP went up to 179/129…

I was stung by...

I was stung by a wasp yesterday. My BP went up to 179/129 and my pulse was 128. I was not short of breath. I had a HA..I took a clonidine. what should I do next time, if there is a next time.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?

No, I do have high BP, but it was 143/75 yesterday morning. The sting happened at 11:00. I do have allergy problems and have been in shock 3 times. But since my BP was not dropping and I was not SOB..I did not go to ER.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take allergy shots, I am allergic to cats, dogs, horses, I have hypertension, type 2 diabetes. My uncle died from a bee sting...and my grandmother was allergic to bees. I am concerned,,,if this happens again should I be concerned. If my bp goes up, will it fall as quickly? Should I talk this over with my allergist.

3/14/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, from your description, it does sound like that you suffered from stress reaction or response rather than an allergic reaction, in some patients rather than develop anaphylactic shock, they may go into hypertensive crisis especially if they have pre-existing hypertension. It is possible that the wasp sting triggered a stress response which led to the rise in BP and heart rate. The absence of shortness of breath and other symptoms does mean that there was no anaphylactic reaction here.

Now regarding your question, actually since the BP rose and it was transient in nature it does not mean that every time you get stung or have any sort of allergic reaction, the BP will rise. Your BP may not rise in most cases. Secondly, usually in these sort of reactions, the BP comes back down to its previous level within a couple of hours at the most, once the actual stressor is removed. Now the next time this happens, you should have a short-acting ACE inhibitor handy, something like oral captopril whose effects would wear off within a few hours and not lead to any complications. Usually the BP would start to fall within 30 minutes however if it does not then the captopril can be used.

I would recommend that you do tell your allergist about this event on your next appointment as it is important to keep him informed but i don't think he will make any drastic changes to your treatment protocol.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali