Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm a 29 year old male and I've been having a slight pain on…

Hello, I'm a 29 year...
Hello, I'm a 29 year old male and I've been having a slight pain on the left side of my throat when I spit forcefully or sneeze. It only hurts when the sneezing or spitting is occurring, and not afterwards or without this sort of "stimulation". The slight pain began 2 months ago, and hasn't gotten any worse and has gotten slightly better. It began after I was smoking some weed, and I held my breathe with the smoke while kind of "exhaling" through my nose (kind of like coughing while holding my breath). While doing this, I then noticed a slight pain on the left side of my throat to the upper left of my adams apple area. Ever since then, the pain is there if I sneeze very hard or spit forcefully. Other than that I feel fine and have no other symptoms. Just wondering if this might have been just a muscle pull in my throat or something, or maybe related to my gingivitis that I'm working on getting rid of (haven't been to the dentist in a while). Thanks!
Oh yeah, and side note, none of my lymph nodes feel sore or tender.
or swollen...
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

So no lumps at all that you can feel in your neck ? Any issues with swallowing at all ? Have you had a throat examination by your doctor ? Would recommend you to get your throat examined by your doctor . He will look into the throat for any local swelling or membranes . If there is nothing on examination and the feeling persists then getting an ultrasound on your neck can help rule out any subtle lymph nodes or even thyroid mass that could be causing you these symptoms.

Having said that it doesnt sound anything sinister from your history and shouldnt be anything too significant. A visit to the doctor is however a good idea ,nothing urgent though.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regards.

Hello and thanks for the response. No problem swallowing. And is a thyroid mass something you think it might be?
I haven't had any examination done by a doctor, this is the first time IM kind of worrying about it

Yes it could be your thyroid but one can only find out on examination or with the help of an ultrasound on your neck

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

I hope you are great.

Please do remember to reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page . Grateful for your time.

Stay blessed.

Regards.