Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a question about a circle bump (approx 1-2 mm in

I have a question about...
I have a question about a white circle bump (approx 1-2 mm in diameter) that is located on the INSIDE of my check on the left side of my face.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** am an ENT physician and I will be assisting you today.

How old are you?

How long has the bump been there? Is it painful? Does it bleed? Has it grown in size since you noticed it? Do you smoke or chew tobacco?

Are you able to upload a photo of the bump?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am 50 years old. It has been there approx. 5-8 days. I could feel it with my tongue and I thought it was a canker sore at first. I looked at it for the first time today with a flashlight and mirror. Although I didn't look at it with a mirror and light until today, based on how it has been feeling with the touch of my tongue, it does not feel like it has grown in size. It is NOT painful. I do not and have never smoked or chewed.I am unable to get a photo of it give where it is located (but I did try). It is located in the back left cheek. It had not done any bleeding until I rubbed it really really hard with my toothbrush today (on purpose). And then it did bleed a very little. It is approx. 1-2 cm in diameter and pretty symmetrical in nature. It is not a "patch" of white. It is now pink/red in the middle since I brushed it hard. It is relatively flat except I can feel a small ridge on the bottom segment of the circle when I touch it with my tongue (which I'm going a lot these days because I keep checking if it is there).
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will you be calling now?

Sorry, I cannot take a phone call at this time. JustAnswer sometimes automatically prompts for a phone call.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I meant 1-2 mm not cm.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, can we chat via online then based on what I provided?

Yes that is fine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not getting a response?

Everything you have stated is very reassuring and makes this sound like a benign growth. I know it is tough to take a picture of it. However, this may be a benign papilloma the way you describe it. It could also be an area of previous trauma or scar tissue. It may even be an inflamed salivary gland (there are several within the cheek). If it grows, becomes painful, starts bleeding, etc. I would get it checked out soon. Otherwise, you can point it out to your dentist the next time you see him/her.

Hope that is helpful. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Consultant
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is on the surface of the skin and not deep. Does this sound like mouth cancer or the start?

It definitely does not sound like mouth cancer and you do not have any of the risk factors for it (ie smoking, chewing, heavy drinking).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be Leukoplakia?
I'm very concerned an I really appreciate your insight.
Should I be concerned that it feels like a little ridge on the bottom portion of the circle? Or should I be concerned that it bled when brushed it really hard?

It could potentially be leukoplakia, but it is hard to tell without looking at it. You may want to see your doctor/dentist so that they can actually see/touch it. It is tough to give a diagnosis without a physical exam, but it does not sound concerning from the way you describe it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, thanks.
Is Leukplakia cancer?
It isn't a patch but rather it is a defined small circle. Does that sound like Leukplakia?

It can be a precancerous lesion. A defined circle definitely does not sound like leukoplakia.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!
Dr. A
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD