Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having some jaw/tooth discomfort and occasionally

I am having some...

I am having some jaw/tooth discomfort and occasionally associated headache. It has been going on for about 4 weeks. It is intermittent but seems to be getting slightly worse. There is sensitivity at times to hot/cold foods. The pain is only on right side of my face but can be on either the uppper or lower side of my jaw. I am wondering where to start diagnostics.... tooth/jaw e-ray at the dentist?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Any other skin concerns?

No skin concerns... about 4 weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

Hello? Still working on the problem? Not sure if you needed to me to respond with any more information....
No, let's just try text for now...

Ok sure thing

With the symptoms you are describing, especially the sensitivity to cold/hot foods, it sounds like you have a cavity. You definitely need to see your dentist who will most likely need to perform an xray to fully evaluate the extent of the cavity. Hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

I think you are probably right. However, just wanted to check on a few other things... if it were jaw related (like TMJ), would those symptoms only show on one side of the Jaw? And, can cavities cause pain that seems to move around a little bit to different locations?

Yes, TMJ can show up on one side of the jaw and frequently does. However, TMJ pain is usually felt at the joint in front of the ear and not inside the mouth itself. It is also not affected by cold/hot foods.

Cavities can sometimes cause pain in slightly different areas, but usually the pain is at least on the same side.

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
thanks... that is it for now...