Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was just told I have osteoporosis.. I am 76 years old.

I was just told...

I was just told I have osteoporosis.. I am 76 years old. What do I need to know about how this will affect me?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I saw my doctor the day I had the DEXA.. She is out of the office today..Her nurse notified me.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am in fairly good health other than severe arthritis in my shoulders, knees. hips, hands and I have severe degenerative scoliosis with 64 % S curve. I have pain everyday and see a pain specialist.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Yes I have recently noticed more pain all over and swelling in knees and legs.

3/14/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask when your last DEXA scan was? What did that DEXA show?

o
It was 2weeks ago. My doctors nurse just called me and said I have osteoporosis. She said the Dr. is not in the office today. She mentioned medication such as fosamax or a shot form of medication taken. Does this diagnosis create more pain or what? I want to know what to expect with this diagnosis.

Osteoporosis is a disorder of low bone density. This means the bones become more fragile, and it affects many woman especially after menopause. Osteoporosis usually has no symptoms (like aches or pains) but does increase your risk of bone fracture especially of the spine and hip. These fractures can be serious, which is why we take the diagnosis of osteoporosis pretty seriously.

More information about osteoporosis from Mayo Clinic here.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD