Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was on contrave diet pill and now I’m 4 weeks pregnant.

Second opinion] I was...

Second opinion] I was on contrave diet pill and now I’m 4 weeks pregnant. Does it cause any harm

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’ve been on contrave already 6 months before a and now started again

3/14/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask how long you've been on the Contrave for, this time around?

And what was the first day of your last period?

I took contrave last year till may and then stopped for 9 months .. now I started again just 3 weeks before . My last period was on feb 12th to 15th .

Thank you.

Contrave is considered to potentially cause severe harm to a fetus, therefore is absolutely contra-indicated (cannot be used) in pregnancy. That being said, if things are going well, you could start with early ultrasounds and make sure all is well.

there is no way to be sure that the fetus is fine before taking ultrasounds ? When can I take my early ultrasound ?

Have you established with an ob/gyn yet? Typically around 6 weeks (so around 2 weeks from now) we can actually start seeing a fetus with a heartbeat. Then around 10 weeks we can a see a little more, and do testing to test for genetic abnormalities.

No I’ve not seen my obgyn yet . If there are genetic abnormalities can that be cured .

Unfortunately many genetic (meaning, programmed into their DNA) cannot be fixed, and these can occur even if the absence of exposure to any dangerous medications. The ultrasounds will just be able to tell you if the fetus looks healthy and well. At 18-20 weeks a more detailed ultrasound where every last inch of anatomy is thoroughly examined, is done, and that is where a very good idea of the health of the fetus is obtained. Again, even the under the best and most ideal of circumstances, a fetus can have an anomaly. You were on the meds for a very short time and have stopped them, so it is unlikely that such a brief exposure will cause any harm. This early in pregnancy, exposure tends to result in an "all or nothing" outcome - meaning, either things will be healthy and great, or result in early miscarriage. Unfortunately we can neither predict nor prevent these outcomes.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD