Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was on contrave diet pill and now I’m 4 weeks pregnant.

I was on contrave...

I was on contrave diet pill and now I’m 4 weeks pregnant. Does it cause any harm

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I’ve been on contrave already 6 months before a and now started again

3/14/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Actually contrave is categorized as a Category X drug by the FDA. This means that its use is contraindicated during pregnancy because the risk of fetal side effects is high. The category has been decided based on ANIMAL studies as there are no well documented human studies which can be referenced. This is why the FDA played it safe and advised that this drug should be avoided during pregnancy.

Now that being said, there is one study which data was analyzed from two large databases (total of 2000 cases in which the drug was used in the first trimester), the data showed that the risk of malformations in the babies was not as high as what was expected.

Now, what does this mean for you? It means that ideally it should have been avoided but since it was not and it was used for only the first 4 weeks of pregnancy, chances are that the fetus should not have developed any serious abnormalities. Animal studies revealed that rather than malformations the greatest risk was that of miscarriage and that occurred when HIGH doses of the drug were used much higher than the normal recommended dose. So, in short, I think the fact that you stopped it at 4 weeks means that your baby should be fine however I would still advise an ultrasound at 18 weeks to confirm this.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

The ultrasound at 18 weeks can identify any abnormalities in baby .

It is known as an anomaly scan which is normally done between 18-20 weeks and it can identify abnormalities in the baby quite easily.

Do you have any more questions?

if I’m not having any bleeding or miscarriage during my first trimester can I be sure that the baby is perfectly healthy .

It is likely that the baby is healthy if there are no signs of a miscarriage in the first trimester.

Do you have any more questions?

Can I travel in cruise or plane during first trimester ? Is it safe ?

Yes, it is safe, travel restrictions are usually placed at the end of the last trimester or if there is a complicated pregnancy but otherwise you are free to travel.

Do you have any more questions?

Should I take any precautions during the travel ??

No special precautions, you just need to follow the normal precautions such as avoiding getting bumps or getting hit on the abdomen or chest and also avoiding physical exertion beyond a certain degree that is all.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali