Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How bad is colon surgery for someone who is 67 male

how bad is colon surgery for someone who is 67 male
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Doctor Jennifer

Hi, I'm Dr Jennifer and I'm a surgery fellow.

It depends on what colon surgery he's getting, and what other health problems he has, as well as how fit he is.

What surgery is it?

The other important factors are:

1. How many flights of stairs can he walk up without stopping, or how many city blocks

2. What medical conditions he has, especially heart and lung conditions

3. What medications he takes

I can give you some risk statistics if I have all that information, if you like

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he walk alot he does smoking but have big stomach

The last things I need are height, weight, and whether or not he smokes.

Ok. Do you know if he has other medical problems, or takes medicines?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
6 264 does not smoke but he big stomach like 42in waist

And the type of surgery?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he have high blood and he have sugar diebeet

Does he take insulin?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he does know yet

Is the surgery for cancer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does take insult we think so

OK. And does he have heart, lung, or kidney problems?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello

OK. I used a partial colectomy (which means they will take out the part of the colon that's the problem) for the surgery, since it's the most general.

The big picture is, based on what you've told me, he has a less than 1% risk of dying from the surgery. But because of some of his health problems, he has about a 25% risk of having a complication from it.

Because of his diabetes, he has a higher risk of a wound infection after the surgery. That means he might have to stay in the hospital longer or have to take care of a wound at home.

His diabetes and being overweight make him more likely to have a hernia after the surgery, which might need more treatment in the future.

His smoking means he is more likely to have a lung infection after surgery, because his lungs aren't healthy from smoking. If he can quit, even a few weeks before surgery, that will reduce his risk of a bad lung infection by a lot.

He's also at a higher risk for ileus, which is when your intestines take a while to wake up after surgery and you are too nauseated to eat, and for problems with the anastomosis, which is where they connect the colon back together.

This is the calculator I used.

If the surgery is for cancer, then I think it's important he have it done. Colon cancer can be cured surgically and we do surgeries for colon cancer very often.

The most important things for him to do as he prepares for surgery to minimize his risk of complications are:

1. quit smoking

2. lose weight if he can

3. control his diabetes well and eat a good, healthy diet

Does that help? Let me know if I can clarify anything. If you're satisfied with my service, please consider giving me a 5 star rating!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he does not smoke what is ileus what you mean what is hernia you talk about surgey

Oh, I'm sorry, I misread earlier! Ok, I'm glad he doesn't smoke. One less thing to worry about!

Ileus is when the intestines don't wake up immediately after surgery, so they don't move food through and it can be hard to eat. It resolves on its own usually after a few days but it means you have to stay in the hospital until they're all the way awake again.

A hernia is where there's a gap in the muscle wall of the belly. Some people have them in their belly buttons from birth. But you can also get one if after surgery the muscle wall doesn't heal together properly. Sometimes people can live with a hernia for years with no problems, but other times they need to be surgically repaired. Here's a link with a page all about hernias.

What else would you like to know about colon surgery? It would help me if you could tell me what colon problem he has that needs surgery.

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/hernia/article_em.htm

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he wake rigth he have hernia for years how long take for surgey it they find early is good

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question?

How long a colon surgery depends on what part of the colon is being removed. For the right side, somewhere between 3 and five hours. For the right side, maybe a little longer. If the rectum has to be removed also, it can make the procedure longer.

Finding cancer early is good, yes; is that what you meant?

I'm sorry, that meant to say 3-5 hours for the right side and maybe a little longer for the left side.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
about 3 to 5 hours if one spot that good

Is it for cancer? It can take longer for other reasons, like diverticulitis, because the colon can be inflamed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what is change to surived more than 5 yearss becuae of a

Because of what?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
his age

His age is actually not the most important thing for his 5 year survival. If it's colon cancer, the most important thing for 5 year survival is the stage of the cancer, which measures how big the tumor is, if it has spread to lymph nodes, or to other organs. What stage he is determines what the risk of recurrence of the cancer and dying of the cancer is.

From CT scans and MRIs they can estimate the stage, but they won't know the true stage until the pathologist has looked at the tumor and the lymph nodes that were removed at surgery. Then your doctors will have all the information on its stage and can tell you what the risks are.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
in GOD hands

Yes. But depending on what they've seen on his colonoscopy and scans, he might need chemotherapy before the surgery, or after. And he can do his best to lose weight and to keep his blood sugar under good control from now until surgery and that will help him recover faster and better.

Doctor Jennifer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok ty

Glad to help! Best to you and to him.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ty
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how long will he be laid up for

In the hospital, probably about a week, depending on how it goes; then home and still recovery, no lifting or strenuous exercise, for about 2-3 weeks more. But that could change depending on what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
gm i talk you yersterday he told him his check his stomach and his bowel they all sound good is that good sign
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
doctor

What checks did they do?

And it would help me to know what kind of colon problem he has. Is it cancer or something else?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is constilption

They want to do a colon surgery for constipation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he eat food but he losse weigth because nerous stree out he can sit still coulld this happan

He's been losing weight and so they're looking for cancer? Did they do a colonoscopy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
on tues so can stree caution to loose wegith stiill eat losse wegith

Sometimes stress and depression can cause weight loss, yes; but if he's had changes in his bowel habits and weight loss, he should definitely have a colonoscopy to look for colon cancer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok he say doctor his bowel sound good is that good can stree caution change you bowel
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
change your bowel habits

They sound good? He listened with a stethoscope?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will have no family history

Listening to the bowels won't tell you much except that they are moving. If there is a suspicion for colon cancer, he needs a colonoscopy to examine the inside of the colon. Unexplained weight loss is a warning sign for cancer and if he's had changes in his bowel habits then that's the first place to look.

I have to admit I'm still not sure what the story is with this patient. He is going to have a colon surgery or not? What colon problem does he have? Is he in the hospital?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no

Can you explain a little more about what's going on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can have ibs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sometime he take mialax it make him go
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he have normall bowel monent want take that

IBS can cause constipation, yes.

I want to clarify what you're asking. Please correct what parts of the story I have wrong.

67 yo man has constipation and has recently lost weight unexpectedly. Someone has proposed surgery to him. He is seeing a doctor and will have a colonoscopy on Tuesday. You want to know what could be causing his constipation.

If that's not right, please correct me?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he have one on tues will help god it come is ok but he take miirlax he have normally bowel monent he not eat alot drink alot water and coffe that it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no blood at all

Miralax for constipation is normal, and being dehyrdated makes constipation worse, yes. But the colonoscopy is the best way to find out if there's something wrong inside his colon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
with no blood is that good

Blood can be a bad sign, but lack of blood doesn't mean there's no cancer, no

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he have bad case of constilption and losse wegith he stree out plus he very nerouus tues wiil tell everything
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
constilonn he say is bowel small iy all because constilption

Well, the preparation for the colonoscopy will clean out all of his constipation. They will give him medicines to clean all the poop from his colon, so he will definitely go to the bathroom a lot in preparation. They do that so they can see all of the inside of the colon without any poop blocking their view.

It's very hard to wait for answers, but the colonoscopy will give you the news you need.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
with no family history but can constiliption caution you have small bowel movement also can be loss some weigth because he street out

It really depends; sometimes constipation causes small, hard bowel movements, but another thing that causes bowel movements to be narrower than usual is a tumor. I'm very glad he's getting a colonoscopy because it's possible he could have colon cancer. If he does, they can get him started on treatment to help cure him.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can be losse weigth because of stree
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
like what treatment

Usually that only happens if the stress makes him eat less

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does he eat like he did before
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
eat two time a day
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello

If he's eating the same as always and losing weight, that's a worrisome sign.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but he walk alot
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can tumor make you loose weigth but be no cancer in tumor

No, not usually.

I know this is scary, but the best thing to do is realize that you'll have the answer on Tuesday. There isn't anything you or I can do to figure it out before then. If there's nothing there, his doctors will do other tests to find out what's wrong. If they do find something, they'll have to plan to treat it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
be only constiltion rigth we wiil have wait and see with god help everything ok look for what

Look for what?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you say they do other test can be only constilption

The colonoscopy is the best test to do. They'll be able to look at the entire colon and see any problems, and take biopsies of anything that looks like a tumor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can be only constilption

If you're asking if his problem could be only constipation, it's possible; but constipation wouldn't explain weight loss.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
maybe the strre and his nerous and he axtioy

It could be. But I'm really sorry, it could also be cancer. But if it is, they will find it on the colonoscopy.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we dont know to still tues we have no family history for this

Yes, but it's important it's checked out anyway.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ya will no family history that good
Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer
Doctor Jennifer, Doctor