Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I want to know that what does it mean when the ultra sound…

Hi I want to...

Hi I want to know that what does it mean when the ultra sound result says that the liver is enlarged in size 15.2 with mild increased echotexture. No evidence of focal lesion of intrahepatic biliary ductal dilatation. and cortico medullary differentiations are well madeout. right mild hydronephrosis noted. Ovaries evidence of right ovarian clar cycst measuring 5.5 X 4.3 cmc left ovary measures 2.8 x 1.7 cms

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Rashes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Feeling heaviness in abdoman

please refer the attached
3/14/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your ultrasound results however they don't indicate a severe issue. I'll go through the abnormal findings one by one,

the liver is enlarged in size 15.2 with mildly increased echotexture

Actually, this simply means that the liver is enlarged in size and the surface of the liver appears to be more bright in the ultrasound. These changes can indicate that the liver is mildly inflamed because of a number of reasons. This could be a viral infection or a bacterial infection or even due to an autoimmune condition. But it does NOT mean that the liver is severely damaged. It can also be due to mild infiltration of the liver with fat and this is a completely reversible condition, you can start using medications to reduce the cholesterol levels in the body and adjust your diet which would rectify the problem within a few months

No evidence of focal lesion of intrahepatic biliary ductal dilatation.

This means that there is NO mass in the liver and the ducts inside the liver are NOT dilated which is a normal finding.

and cortico medullary differentiations are well made out. right mild hydronephrosis noted.

This is actually referring to the kidneys which means that the kidneys have a normal differentiation between their two parts, the cortex, and the medulla. if the differentiation was lost then it would have indicated kidney disease

The hydronephrosis means that the right kidney is slightly swollen which can be due to a small stone which may have been already passed out. This can occur in many patients and usually, the stone may not be picked up on the ultrasound, a CT scan can be done to determine if there is a stone however if that comes back as negative that means the stone has already been passed and the swollen kidney will settle down soon.

Ovaries evidence of right ovarian clear cyst measuring 5.5 X 4.3 cm left ovary measures 2.8 x 1.7 cms

This indicates that you have a small ovarian cyst which is a common finding in many patients. The cyst is a small fluid containing lesion in the ovary which can develop because of a number of things including hormones etc. The fact that it is a clear cyst means that this is a benign lesion which does not need any specific treatment apart from simple monitoring of the cyst with repeated ultrasound on a yearly basis. No treatment is necessary for a cyst this size if it is asymptomatic, if it grows larger in size then it can be removed.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali