Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I woke up this AM with the worst diarea I have ever had. I…

Customer Question
I woke up this...

I woke up this AM with the worst diarea I have ever had. I took 4 Imodium once in the am and once around 2. When I went to bed I felt nausea and threw up the toast I had eaten. Now I have the explosive diarea again. Help.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No fever. I can't keep anything down and I can't get off the toliet

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?

No fever no respiratory symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have nerve pain from when I had the shingles. I am very sweaty at the moment

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/14/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal infection. You may need a course of antibiotics like Metrogyl. The initial management is as following;

1) PeptoBismol

2) Lomotil / IMMODIUM; may only be given if the diarrhea is vigorous.

3) Gatorade / Pedialyte

4) Plenty of fluids

5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help.

6) Probiotics

The primary aim is prevention of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. If the diarrhea loss of fluids is too much or you are unable to drink enough liquids; you may need antibiotics and / or intravenous fluids. In that case you may need to got to ER.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

You may take Dramamine, which is for vomiting and is without prescription medicine.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.