Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’m 6 weeks pregnant and have threadworms! Wanted to know if…

Hi, I’m 6 weeks...

Hi, I’m 6 weeks pregnant and have threadworms! Wanted to know if it’s ok to take worming tablets?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you gone in for a first-trimester ultrasound or any tests? What are all the medications you're using?

First tri ultrasound this Friday.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you taking any vitamins? How frequently per week do you exercise?

Pre natal vitamins 1 a day, folate and yes exercise fairly regularly.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I conceived through IVF

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor

Welcome and thank you for your question.

I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

It is advisable o avoid using deworming medicines in pregnancy as far as possible. Hygiene measures should be tried first - since pinworms die in about 6 weeks, it is better to remain to take measures like washing hands frequently , and change underclothes regularly during these 6 weeks.

If it does not help, medicines like pyrantel pamoate (Combantrin) can be used.

I hope this helped.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating ( 5 stars) to leave feedback.

Thank you.

Ok, thank you. I was told Pyrantel is ok to use but not sure I want to take it. Thanks this has helped.

You are welcome.

Please click on a positive rating ( 5 stars) to leave feedback.

Thank you.

Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor