Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Dr I am still wheezing and need to clear my chest

Dr David I am still wheezing...
Dr David
I am still wheezing and need to clear my chest periodically and the last 4 or 5 days my chest burns. I think it could be heart burn now. I did go to urgent care yesterday the PA did a chest X-ray and said lungs look good. He said you have pluritis. And the flu I had can take up to 6 weeks to get over. This is my 4th week. Of being down. I do have my energy back some. I am like 85% better. But the wheezing and needing to clear my chest and burning in my chest is this normal? Nothing is really coming up when I cough. Only once in a while and it's kind of white and foamy kind of.
DR CHIP ARE YO0U ONLINE?
I am still wheezing and need to clear my chest periodically and the last 4 or 5 days my chest burns. I think it could be heart burn now. I did go to urgent care yesterday the PA did a chest X-ray and said lungs look good. He said you have pluritis. And the flu I had can take up to 6 weeksto get over. This is my 4th week. Of being down. I do have my energy back some. I am like 85% better. But the wheezing and needing to clear my chest and burning in my chest is this normal? Nothing is really coming up when I cough. Only once in a while and it's kind of white and foamy kind of. I forgot to mention the burning in the chest like heartburn is more when I lay down. I just took some liquid antiacid.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

bad heart burn may need something stronger than liquid antacid

you may need to take a zantac 150mg pill as well as prilosec 20mg of omeprazole to help decrease stomach acid

you may need to avoid certain foods like tomato sauces, fried foods, spicy foods, oily foods, alcohol, sodas, large meals to help decrease stomach acid reflux.

I will take a Prilosec I have lots of them. A few years ago I had a heart burn problem for a couple of years.
I noticed the heart burn is worse when I lay down. I was taking liquid mucinex for the wheezing but I think it has alcohol in it and it makes heart burn worse. I have been taking advair twice a day for the wheezing. Actually the wheezing is worse when I lay down too. In order to sleep I have been sleeping in a upright position. I also have taken once or twice a day ibuprofen 2 tablets. If I have pluritis does it go away on its own?

ibuprofen can cause upset stomach and more stomach acid.

only take ibuprofen after a meal and with plenty of water.

you may need to loose weight, cut out carbs out of your diet and eat more fruits and vegetables

and exercise more regularly to help your acid reflux and other symptoms.

if you don't smoke and you take care of your body and eat healthier and are able to exercise, you can get plueritis to get better.

I do not drink alcohol or smoke. I am over weight. Can the pluritis cause any other issues? And will the wheezing and chest congestion go away on its own as well?

when you are overweight, it can be difficult to take a deep breath

changing your diet and what you eat on a regular basis is the best way to loose weight

if you loose weight, your breathing will get better and your wheezing will get better.

I really have never had trouble with wheezing before until I got sick with the flu a month ago.
I found some Prilosec but it says expiration is 04/2017 can I still take a pill?
I was told that I had such bad heartburn a. Few years ago that my esphogus is diminishing from it.
I took a Prilosec around 8:45pm pst and it has helped the wheezing. I gave the heart burn still not as bad but the wheezing isn’t as bad as it was. It’s 11:30pm pst now.

yes, you can take the prilosec.

that is good the prilosec helped.

you are welcome

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Wow.... I had a good nights rest. The wheezingnpoping abs cracklings is at a light to medium. It didn’t wake me up at all last night and the heart burn is very light. I am surprised that Prilosec would help with the wheezing. Why is that? Should I do the 14 day regimen twice a day of the Prilosec?
Wow.... I had a good nights rest. The wheezing, popping and cracklings is at a light to medium. It didn’t wake me up at all last night and the heart burn is very light. I am surprised that Prilosec would help with the wheezing. Why is that? Should I do the 14 day regimen twice a day of the Prilosec? Sorry auto correct

the acid most likely was coming up your esophagus and tricking into your lungs when you were sleeping and irritating your lungs causing wheezing.

Can that cause any Damage? The acid being in my lungs ? Should I do the 14 day regimen twice a day of Prilosec?

yes, over time, the stomach acid can irritate the lungs

so you need to control your acid reflux.

To my knowledge that is the first time that has ever happened where it is causing me to wheeze. But it’s been like this for at least a week now. And I haven’t had heart burn in a long while. Should I do the 14 day treatment of Prilosec or is that necessary?

the length of time you need the prilosec depends on your diet and your acid reflux

if you are able to change your diet and improve your diet and decrease acid reflux this way then you don't need prilosec for 14 days

if you can't improve your diet, or are slower to improve your diet to help decrease acid refulx, then you need longer period with prilosec.

When I cough I still hear and feel like congestion in my chest could this be from the acid too?

it is from your lungs possibly irritated before from stomach acid coming up at night time. it will get better as you better control your stomach acid.

I will do what I can to control it.tge couple of years I had it a few years ago was caused by hpylori. My husband and I eat out a lot as we travel for business. Doctor I have been Over weight all my life and had a gastric bypass in 1995 it worked until 2005 when the weight starting Coming back on again. It’s hard for me to lose my metabolism is zero. And I have low thyroid. I take 100mcg syhthroid everyday. So I really don’t have plurritis? It’s the acid causing this in my chest right now?

your acid reflux can be causing inflammation of your lungs and wheezing and your cough symptoms .

you have to eat more protein, no carbs more salads, smaller meals, water when you eat out

you can loose weight

you don't have a zero metabolism.

What can make my metabolism faster? I have developed an allergy to turkey and chicken the last 8 years and I love that meat. I hardly eat much meat anymore. I don’t drink enough water I know that I will certainly try to do better with that. I am severe hypoglycemic ave have been since my surgery in 1995. I tore my meniscus on my left knee in 2010 so I don’t really exercise at all anymore. I don’t want my knee to give out on me and I don’t want surgery the last time they gave me anesthetic was in 2010 for lithotripsy for kidney stones and I past put 3 times in the middle of the night and I haven’t been myself since then. Still light headed from that after all these years some days are worse then others. I have just been living with it. Doctors in this area where I live are not very good.
I also eat oatmeal most mornings with raisins and apples is this to much carbs? Its only a cup

oatmeal is all carbohydrates and turns into sugar in your blood stream and your body stores that sugar as fats

you should eat 2-3 eggs for breakfast and some fruit and

you do get hungry between meals when you cut out carbs. so you have to snack on nuts or apples and peanut butter between meals.

your body gets hungry, it is going to your fat stores to burn body fat.

you should try to exercise in water like water aerobics.

ok no more oatmeal.

I would eat it like once a week and eat more protein in the morning which can help you loose weight.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Thank you Dr David. I will take your advice and update you in a few days on how the new diet are going. ETC

you are welcome

do you see the ratings area above?

you may have to scroll up

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician