Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have severe night sweats and mild hot flashes. My gyn does…

I have severe night...

I have severe night sweats and mild hot flashes

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My gyn does not recommend anything and I take a menapause supplement from GNC but it doesn't work

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Arterio venus malformation in my right hand

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I work out 3 days a week and eat fairly healthy. I drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning. I'm on anti depressants

3/14/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

May I ask how old you are?

Did your gyn say in particular why they did not recommend hormones?

I'm 65. My gyn and myself feel that hormone therapy may be harmful. She suggested Black Cohosh but it didn't work

Ah OK. I do agree with your gyn that in this age range, there is a bit more risk compared to starting hormones, say in your early 50s.
Other things you can try to help with hot flashes:

- There's an over the counter medication called Estroven. There are a few different kinds and one in particular for hot flashes. Please note that this medication is not FDA-approved so the risks and claims of benefits have not been evaluated with scientific studies.

- You could try decreasing the caffeine. You don't drink much, but reducing it could make a difference.

- You could try adding acupuncture to your routine. We don't know why it works, but it does help a lot of women with their symptoms.

- Yoga and meditation are also great for hot flashes. You could try to incorporate 1 -2 yoga sessions a week in place of one of your other work outs.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD