Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My father is having a cold sensation in the lower part of…

Customer Question
My father is having...

My father is having a cold sensation in the lower part of his left leg and toes in the right leg. He doesn't have numbness or tingling. Both are warm to the touch.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

His left leg is swollen yes. When the swelling goes down, the pain lessens. I forgot to add that his left leg and the toes on his right foot are hurting.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has already ruled out blood clots, and has HBP but not diabetic

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Medical
3/14/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Hello nice to meet you. Thank you.

Please wait, I am writing the answer.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for his symptoms.
His symptoms can be from pressure on the nerve.
Swelling of the legs can be the factor.
Numbness, tingling may not always occur.
In diabetes, there can be abnormal sensation.
Though the symptoms are improving, still you should take an appointment with his doctor.
An examination by doctor would help to make a management plan.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish him healthy life.
Regards.

My father also has mild high blood pressure and is taking Lisinopril-Hydrochlorothyazide and Bystolic to manage the HBP.

Hydrochlorothiazide can help to reduce leg swelling as well as blood pressure.

However, doctor can decide whether dose adjustment is necessary.

This still doesn't answer my question about his symptoms. What can be causing the cold sensation in his leg and toes? The cold started coming on last Thursday but he didn't think anything of it at the time as we were in cold weather. The weather is now warm. I am trying to find out as much info as possible as he is unable to see a doctor at the moment. The symptoms aren't improving as you previously stated. The swelling is continued and the pain and cold feeling have not subsided.

Cold sensation is not due to environmental temperature.
It is due to neuropathy.
In diabetic neuropathy, this symptom can be possible.
Diabetes should be kept under control.
Evaluation by a neurologist will be needed.
Meanwhile, try to keep his legs warm by extra blanket, warm socks.
If it is needed room heater can be used.

Keep the legs elevated while sleeping by giving pillow under legs so that the swelling of the legs can be less.