Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have disc degeneration disease and have already had a

I have disc degeneration...

I have disc degeneration disease and have already had a spinal fusion on T 10-12 back in 2009. Now im having alot of problems with my neck . It starts from my bra line a goes all the way up to the base of my head. I get extreme pain in the back of my head like it just wants to explode. I had xrays done on my cervical spine and it says there is loss of cervical lordosis, C5-6 is narrowing, I have bone spurring contributing to mild foraminal narrowing on the right at C5-6. I also have posterior endplate hypertrophic spurring at C5-6. I also have spondylosis at the same area with right foraminal narrowing and loss of normal cervical lordosis. I always have a lot of pain starting in the thoracic region going all the way up to the base of my head or skull. its extreme pressure and almost like i cant move my neck because it hurts so bad. What does all this mean and should i be worried. I also have chiari malformation too.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

I'm nauseous a lot. I try to take it easy but whenever I do something simple as dishes or cutting food for dinner, its instantly aggravated and on comes the head ache and the extreme pressure like i'm not getting blood flow through my neck and then bam. it feels like a burst in the back of my head. kinda like when your hands freeze and when they get warm again it hurts or like a brain freeze from too much ice cream.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had cervical cancer when i was 22 and endometriosis so i had a full hysterectomy and the DDD in my spine and the fusion on T10-12. I also have osteoporosis.

3/13/2018
Connie Pennington

Hello, I am Dr. Pennington, a surgeon. How bad is the Chiari malformation? What type is it? A chiari can lead to headaches and some of the symptoms you describe if it is severe enough. Some are incidental however. How old are you? Have you seen your neurosurgeon?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am 42 years old. I have not seen a neurologist for this. It gets pretty bad and very painful. It has taken over my life. Just sitting here typing is painful. If found out I had chiari in 2009 and it has slowly got worse and worse over the years. It gets to the point where I have a hard time brushing my hair because it hurts from the middle of my back all the way up to my skull or base of my head. Ive been in alot of pain for many years and just dealt with it but now its really getting worse and worse and very concerning. Its like my body is telling me something and its not good.

I am so sorry. You really need to see a neurosurgeon. The Chiari is serious and could be contributing to your symptoms. There are 4 types of Chiari malformations, and you need a current MRI. I would recommend doing this now. If it is not a serious Chiari then spinal issues are the likely culprit. If your symptoms are getting worse, do not put this off. See a neurosurgeon or at least a neurologist ASAP. Really.

Connie Pennington
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you so much. I can't afford the $50 because i'm on disability and a fixed income. But I really appreciate your expert advise and will definitely get a MRI and see a Neurologist ASAP. I am currently in the middle of switching doctors right now because I have heard alot of good things about her and I'm sure she will give me the help I need. Once again. Thank you kindly.
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington
Connie Pennington