Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If a person thinks they may have a stomach ulcer, what would…

If a person thinks...

If a person thinks they may have a stomach ulcer, what would need to be done upon a trip to the ER?

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

A few days, my friend vomited once. He feels fine now, but is still debating a trip to the ER, although he has no insurance.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He's been in the hospital for stomach ulcers before.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you, ***** ***** I just need to help him with the most cost effective way to visit the ER regarding possible stomach ulcers. He does not have health insurance.

If there is no bleeding or pain then ER doctor will just prescribe omeprazole and would advise to see a PCP or gastroenterologist so at this stage it is better to get an appointment rather than going to ER.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

It is better for him schedule an appointment with a PCP or Gastroenterologist? Is that more cost effective as well? Without insurance, how much would a visit to a PCP or Gastroenterologist typically cost?

Yes, it would be more cost effective to see a PCP or urgent care as Er is always expensive. It can range from 100 to 200 dollars that depend on the areas etc.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor