Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Woke up two days ago -- in the middle of the night -- to…

Woke up two days...

Woke up two days ago -- in the middle of the night -- to extreme pain in BOTH my feet. I was in extreme pain to the point of finding it very difficult to walk without steading myself. I simply stayed off my feet all day. No history of this...same for most of morning, but pain is beginning to subside. I do have diabetes, which is well in hand. (Last A!C was 6.4). My diet is very strict i.e. very low carbs.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My health is close to perfect. Very active, very pro-health (must be with diabetes)...then out of the blue these "old man" feet!

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take a pill a day for gout (new meds of about a month)

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This can be an acute peripheral neuropathic pain, which can happen at times in patients with diabetes.

Sometimes, dehydration and diabetes, together can lead to muscular spasms, especially in small muscles of feet which can give you similar pain.

Other reason is a circulation abnormality due to stenosis or narrowing in arteries supplying blood to the feet (also common in diabetics), but this is usually associated with cold and numb feet.

I think there is no harm in having you feet examined by the doctor, and to rule out any serious possibility like impairment in blood flow. But honestly, this looks some thing benign as it has started to improve already with out any intervention, but an evaluation will be reassuring.

In the meantime...I presume that I should stay off my feet, as if I had a choice.

For the time being, you can use Tylenol for pain control. And yes, give some rest to the feet especially if it hurts while walking.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor