Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a persistent cough for about 3 months, maybe

Customer Question
Second opinion] hi, I...

Second opinion] hi, I have had a persistent cough for about 3 months, maybe longer... I also have had (and I am currently having) repeated bouts of feverishness, yet my body temperature is normal. I am currently taking prednisone- today is day 4 of treatment... this has not alleviated symptoms at all, and at some points seems as though the symptoms have gotten worse...

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Just the cough and feverishness no abnormal fatigue, weight loss, loss of appetite or anything like that

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I recently tested positive for HSV 1, shortly after the symptoms first appeared... also had the same feverishness before the testing...

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/13/2018
Doctor: DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician replied 3 months ago
DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Thank you for requesting me.

I am not sure why you would be on prednisone?

and what is your question exactly?

I have had a persistent cough for several months now, with no other symptoms aside from what I am currently experiencing, which is extreme feverishness with no raise in body temp (which I understand may be a side effect of the prednisone) ... my doctor prescribed the prednisone to suppress the cough....

OK

So what is your exact question?

Why do you have a cough per your doctor?

he said it could allergies, molds/fungus in the air, or a viral infection...
My exact question is: This cough has persisted for many months, I have tried every suggested form of treatment to no avail... since the prednisone seems to be actually making my cough worse instead of better, what would be the next step in finding out what is causing my symptoms? I should I expect to simply be more patient with the prednisone therapy, today is the 4th day, and the coughing has not subsided at all... it has become worse, if anything.

Then the next step is to see a specialist.

Have you seen a pulmonologist at this point?

no sir...

I will opt out for another expert to help you.

Please wait for a new expert.