Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have you ever heard of a toddler becoming aggressive after…

Have you ever heard...

Have you ever heard of a toddler becoming aggressive after taking over the counter cough medicine?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

Two days. She had a fever prior to the cough. It is worse at night she screams and kicks.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Hello
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hello
I rather text
Hello... I understand your concern.I need some more information please.1. May I know if she is behaving like this at the height of the temperature and how high is the temperature?
2. What are all the medications which you have given her so far and which medication are you suspecting that has caused this?
3. How is her sensorium otherwise and is she recognising you well and how is her interaction?Please get back to me with the above information so that I can guide you better.Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Hello, the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I am sorry for the inconvenience. I would be glad to continue here please.
The high of her temperature was 102. I gave her Tylenol for the fever and now she was on zarbees cough and cold. She recognizes me and some times she wants me to hold her but the majority of the time she is fighting and kicking and screaming
She is overall just being mean
Hello... Please do not worry about a medication causing this type of behaviour.
This is febrile delirium.
In this condition during the height of the temperature usually kids less than 12 years of age can behave abnormally and scream and can talk irrelevantly and this particular behaviour when first time experienced by the caregivers or parents can be very disturbing.You need not worry about this at all and this will automatically come down and normalize once the favour settles. This is self limiting.This is not related to any brain or neurological damage please.The only other situation where this type of behaviour can occur is during an infection of the middle ear or otitis media where the kid can behave like this due to severe ear pain. Simple otoscopic examination by the physician will settle the diagnosis in this scenario.But as of now I suggest that you give her tylenol and wait for the fever to settle down and as such her behaviour also should normalise when the fever touches the baseline. If she does not settle then I suggest you take her to the physician or nearest Emergency Room and get her ears checked." I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD
Thank you and have a great day