Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had one encounter with a new partner in sept. Without

Good morning. I had...

Good morning. I had one encounter with a new partner in sept. Without ejaculation. I tested in December with oraquick and it was negative. In begining of Dec. I had oral encounter with same person, however i dont know if he was active elsewhere. I got the flue 2 days later as did everyone else in my home. I tested 2 weeks later (same test) which waz negative. Fst fwd to now and I noticed that my cbc the lymphocyte abs count had gone down by .4 but was still in normal range. I went back and reviewed one years worth of results and javentr seen a value of 1.93 before, my lowest was 2.01. Does this mean I could have developed a pozitive result 6 months after? I am freaking out.

Doctor's Assistant: Back (~medical bodypart) What are the partner's symptoms? Has she used any medication for this?

I don't know their symptoms I don't believe there are on medication for anything I don't speak to the person any longer

Doctor's Assistant: Has she seen a pediatrician about this?

A pediatrician for what

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in her medical history you think the doctor should know?

Hashi moto diary deitas and a prolactin oma Hashi moto diary deitas and a prolactin oma

3/13/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. The Oraquick HIV test, when done at least 3 months post-exposure, is VERY accurate for a negative test results, on the order of 99.9%. Two test values negative is virtually certainly negative for HIV. Can you tell me please, with you CBC testing, was that done as part of routine screening or was it illness related, and if so, what illness? Also, what was your total WBC (white blood cell count)? Were all the other values on the CBC normal? (you can attach a copy to this chat thread if you have it and are able, if not, no problem)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I actually only had 1 negative test. The CBC was done because I was having some anxiety, headaches, extremely dry eyes and my period lasted only 2 days. I also had some stomach discomfort which I still currently have. The headaches felt like sinus and tension mixed together with some pain around the temples and my TMJ started acting up. I felt as if I had something in my throat. I think I had a sinus infection, but I can't recall. I have hashimoto's thyroid along with a prolactinoma. I thought that the headaches were related to the thyroid as it felt as if I was swinging to the hyper side, but the thyroid values showed in the normal range. I am attaching the cbc for your reference.

Thank you for that information and the attached test. Please give me a moment to review and I'll be back.

Thank you for waiting. Even with just one negative Oraquick, please rest assured, your negative result is 99.9% accurate. You CBC results are absolutely normal. The total WBC count looks good and your lymphocytes, both absolute and percentage are fine. The lymphocytes, both absolute and percentage, can vary over time, sometimes cycling both up and down but as long as they remain in the normal range, nothing at all to be concerned about. All in all, based upon everything you have shared with me and your lab results, I would say you have no evidence of HIV infection and can rest assured in your negative Oraquick result.

Can I help with any other questions today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much! I do have one more unrelated question. for the past year or so I have had burning mouth sensations. mainly my tongue gets dry or feels scalded. I have asked for all the tests I can think of based on my research and they all seem to be normal except for the b12 tending to run high. I tested negative for sjorgensons syndrome. Could this be related to being on natural dissecated thyroid medicine instead of synthetic? I have switched between the brands and it seems to get better but then comes back. I think the current med I am on now, armour, irritates my stomach after a while of taking it. However, I asked to be on the NDT since the synthetic was causing so many swings from hyper to hypo almost every four weeks. any advice?

You're very welcome. It's certainly possible if you fluctuate between hyper- and hypo- regarding your thyroid status to develop the symptoms you've described above. My advice would be to find the right thyroid medication that keeps your thyroxine and TSH levels normalized which would very likely resolve those symptoms. You may want to consider using the synthetic thyroid hormone at least to level out your thyroid function then consider changing over to the natural version. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD