Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What's the best over the counter remedy for flu symptoms? I…

Customer Question
What's the best over...

What's the best over the counter remedy for flu symptoms?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have not seen a physician and I don't take anything except Allegra for sinus allergies

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

Some productive cough and about 5 days. I forgot to mention I did a steroid and antibiotic about 2 weeks ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/13/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

The best and safest OTC treatment is to use Tylenol or Motrin for control of pain/fever/inflammation.

Any over the counter decongestant like Sudafed.

Steam inhalation and plenty of warm liquids intake (soothing effect and help cough out thick phlegm).

And green tea/honey water (anti-inflammatory and boosts immunity).

If despite these measures, the cough, fever and other symptoms remain persistent then it is an indication to have this examined by your doctor to get blood tests/CXR done.

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Let me know if you have any further queries/clarifications.

Thanks for visiting JA!