Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I’ve had hidradenitis for 30 years, and it mainly effected…

I’ve had hidradenitis for...

I’ve had hidradenitis for 30 years, and it mainly effected my groin, under arm and under breast area. I haven’t had a need for surgery as it is mild. The HS is now affecting my face, but only in the form of large pores in a straight line on my cheek. It looks a lot like the tract formation that appears on my body. I’ve been to a plastic surgeon, a dermatology spa nurse, and to a regular dermatologist and they don’t know what to do for me. I feel like this HS is ruining my face slowly. Is there a way to remove the glands from my face to stop the tracts from forming? Or, what would you suggest?

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

Tract formation on my cheek. I’ve not taken oral medication or topical. Just tried microdermabrasion and laser treatments are what I’m doing now, mini fraxel, and I have 5 sessions left.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you used anything besides for this?

I have also done chemical peels.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have PCOS and Hashimoto’s as well

3/13/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

In your case, the goal of treatment should be to treat existing lesions and scarring, and to achieve this goal you may require a combination of medical and surgical intervention.

Various interventions exist for treatment of scarring/tracts formation, including biologic therapies, surgery, laser and light interventions. Mini Fraxel is a kind of laser treatment and it is helpful to control the dark spots, lines/wrinkles, and dark spots (hyperpigmented areas).

The formation of interconnected tracts means, according to classification of hidradenitis Suppurativa, this is Stage 3, and in that case you may benefit from biologic treatments such as adalimumab/infliximab OR a surgical intervention like excision of sinus tracts (in severe cases may be used to excise an entire affected area) may be helpful.

Usually the surgical intervention is not used alone, but always in combination with medical therapy.

You can discuss these details with your treating dermatologist to chalk out further management plan; as he is responsible to decide the timing of biologic therapy and surgical intervention.

Was it helpful?

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
helpful. I will need help finding a dermatologist that will remove the sinus tracts. Most of them think I have acne scars, and are not familiar with HS. Is there a particular type of dermatologist or resources I can use to search?

Ideally you should try to consult a dermatologist who has special interest and more experience in treating HS. You can ask your derma doctor also about his experience in this and a possible referral to any other dermatologist who is more experienced and has done research work on this topic.

Good luck.

Thanks for visiting JA!

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor