Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter went to her doctor and had a Upper respitary…

My daughter went to...

My daughter went to her doctor and had a Upper respitary infection and a white blood cell count of 21. She had an antibiotic shot and was put on antibiotics. She returned in 2 days and her white blood cell count was up to 22.8. She has been referred to a hemotologist/oncologist who made her an expedited appointment for tomorrow. I am very worried. What could all this mean?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I don't know what that is?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. That is all I have found out from her doctor. I just need to know what to expect tomorrow. Will they tell me she has cancer with this high of an elevated white blood count?

3/13/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you. I am worried sick. Please help me understand
You can just chat with me via this portal. Is that ok with you?
Is anyone there?

The diagnosis of cancer is not made by simply having an elevated WBC count.

The doctor wants to rule out any other causes of having a high WBC count. These include stress, trauma, allergies and certain myeloproliferative or bone marrow conditions.

In cancer, the WBC count is usually lower than normal, but in some cases, it can be extremely high. Much more than 25K.

In your daughter's case, the high count is most likely a result of infection.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

You have to allow time for me to type your answers. Yes, we can chat here.

Thank you for your answer. What do you mean by certain bone marrow conditions?

Hereditary bone marrow conditions, myelofibrosis etc. WBC counts are higher than 25K.

Let me know if you have more queries.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor